fan-tastic...my trachy fort.

deep___roots(ca9/sunset15)October 25, 2010

No worries here. This palm is looking great. How amazing are the fans of this species? Absolutely love them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimhardy

That's a real beauty but it would be nice to have a reference for scale(-:

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 10:34PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Trachys are beautiful palms! One of my favorites! You have a nice looking palm!!
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

Bookmark   October 25, 2010 at 10:50PM
deep___roots(ca9/sunset15)

Fence in background is 6 feet tall. I'm crouching to photograph upwards. My trunk is only 4 feet tall on this plant, but it is thick. This palm was in a container for many years, but now it is in the ground and it is busting out!

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 11:48AM
subtropix

They're my favorites too. So much so, that part of my collection focuses on various species of Trachys (even those not locally hardy--martianus, latisectus, etc.). Any palm that looks great in the dead of Winter, under a blanket of snow and subarctic cold is awesome! Deep roots, what species is that by the way?

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 5:57PM
butiaman(8a Douglasville,GA.)

That's a great looking palm.If you don't mind me asking,where did you get that palm?All I can find is small seedlings on ebay.I would like to have a 3 or 1 gallon size plant.Yours looks very healthy and happy :)
Randy

Bookmark   October 26, 2010 at 11:11PM

Purchased at Home Depot maybe 7 to 10 years ago for $15.95. I think it was a 5 gallon. I think it is your basic trachy fort., nothing special (I didn't even know there were different trachy varieties!). I don't go to Home Depot much anymore but I think they still have basic palms for sale, at least in California stores.
It lived in a 13 inch square and 13 inch deep redwood planting box I built until 2 years ago. Before I planted it out, it was busting up that planting box. But I had to wait for the perfect planting location to be discovered!
Thanks for the nice comments!
I will see if I can find the tag that tells the grower's name and pass that on. Probably located in California, but maybe they will ship to Georgia. I had no idea this was hard to find.

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 12:39PM
subtropix

Butia, I haven't looked recently, but I have seen (and purchased) large ones one eBay--for great prices! Might be seasonal--more available in Spring and early Summer. Also HD's and L's is even beginning to sell hardy palms in the coastal North (Sabals, Needles, Butias)--I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a Trachy in the big chain stores in your area.

Bookmark   October 27, 2010 at 5:43PM

For what it is worth, Barcelo Enterprises (google "barcelo palms") is (was) the grower for Home Depot palms when I got mine. I found the tag and boy, was it faded. Check out the website if you are curious about availability and possible shipping.

Bookmark   October 28, 2010 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
Planting young palms
Is it better to grow baby palm trees in container and...
Late Sound
2015 sudden jump(here)from winter to spring
Check out March 6th,that is the day I uncovered my...
jimhardy
Windmill palms for sale on Long Island, NY. 35% off till March 23rd
We currently are having a 35% off sale right now on...
ISLAND WIDE PALM TREES
Need help identifying a cycad
I bought a cycad of unknown species and am trying to...
Yuri Diomin
Coconut Palm in Newport Beach, CA
Hey guys, just thought you'd like an update on the...
cmventura
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Lanterns. Corniche Hanging Outdoor Burlwood Bronze Lantern
Home Depot
Kenroy Home Lamps Spyglass 60 in. Bronze Floor Lamp 30438BRZ
Home Depot
Oregon State University Basketball Round: 2 Ft. 2 In. x 2 Ft. 2 In. Rug
$26.95 | Bellacor
Palermo Brushed Bronze One Light 52-Inch Energy Star Ceiling Fan and Remote
$271.00 | Bellacor
'All My Butt' Wall Sign
$8.99 | zulily
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave 60 in. Mojavi Thin Weave Fl
Home Depot
Stanford University Brushed Nickel Arc Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Vance Polished Nickel 52 Inch Ceiling Fan
$378.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™