Windmill palm care

tropicnyc7(7)October 10, 2010

I just bought a 3gal windmill palm from ebay and I was wondering how to take care of it regarding winter protection for it in zone 7 nyc and when to put it outside for good.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

I also recieved a 3 gallon windmill palm off of ebay about a year and a half ago in March of 2009 and planted it in the ground in early march soon after I recieved it. It saw one or 2 nights below freezing and of course had no problems! It didnt grow too much until this past summer. I protected it with some Christmas lights followed by a frost cloth and a plastic garbage bin over it to retain some more heat and keep it dry. It kept the palm about 20 degrees warmer than the actual temeprature outside which was more than enough to keep it happy. Its easy to apply and works well. Its also not that hard to find the supplies. The only downside to this method of protection is that your palm will eventualy out grow it, but not for at least 4 years or more from a 3 gallon.
Good luck!
-Alex

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 9:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

I grew mine as containerized plants until they got larger than my largest tub/containers then planted it in the ground. I protected the trunks with frost cloth and X-mas lights for the first couple of years. Last Winter they were not protected at all but they are in a good microclimate (southern exposure not far from the house). They're about 4-5 feet. Larger palms gain in cold hardiness as they get big. Protect from hard frost but try to keep COOL as a containerized plant over Winter then plant in early April. These palms are VERY cold hardy but appreciate well draining soil, and some wind protection.

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
Cycas Revoluta - only two shoots
Hello, I am new here, and I have a question about a...
oxford_pictionary
Survival of up rooted Palm.
I'm in coastal NC Z8b. Builders dropped off a up rooted...
camaross94
How to trim a half dead palm..
Hello! I have a large palm that has been in my house...
thrghbrdjmpr
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
Areca seeds germinating
For years my palm was seeding but something always...
tropicbreezent
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™