Need help IDing insect eggs

ajwalsh172September 12, 2006

Hi. I'm new to gardening, so please bear with me. I started an herb garden in containers ~1 month ago. All are kept outside. This morning I found tiny, white, round insect eggs, ~1-1.5 mm in diameter, on the underside of leaves of some of my plants. Mainly, my mints have be affected. I found very few eggs on my greek oregano and marjoram, and none on my basil, purple sage, and, surprisingly, my pineapple mint. I don't think my lemon verbena had any eggs either. Anyway, the eggs are laid singly, not en masse. And on many leaves, I found only a single egg and at most 5-6 eggs clustered together per leaf. I didn't see a preference as to which leaves on the plant were affected (new leaves compared to old leaves). Also, I didn't find any insects on the leaves (no flies or caterpillars) and no webs. The eggs came off the leaves very easily, no stickiness what-so-ever. I'd really appreciate help IDing which insect is doing this. I removed all the eggs off the leaves that I could find. I just hope it's not a beneficial bug. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

can you describe the eggs, other than not being stickee???

ken

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 9:38AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

have fun with the link ... ken

Here is a link that might be useful: bug egg IMAGES at google

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 5:13PM
botanybob(Northern Idaho)

Identifying insect eggs from a verbal description is pretty difficult unless the eggs have some unusual feature. At 1-1.5 mm., they are pretty good size for an insect. Your growing season is not nearly over as ours is here, so I would expect the eggs to hatch fairly soon. It would be helpful to know what kind of creature comes out of the eggs.

Bookmark   September 14, 2006 at 6:04PM
ajwalsh172

Hi. I posted the same message with a photo on a different forum. I couldn't post a photo with this message because I didn't have the resizing software at the time. I suspect that they are butterfly eggs. I found one in my grapefruit mint yesterday. Didn't have my camera with me, or else I would have taken a photo it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insect eggs

Bookmark   September 16, 2006 at 5:24PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Again, you really won't know for sure unless you observe them until they hatch. Many insect eggs can look quite similiar.

Bookmark   September 16, 2006 at 10:22PM
azn_diamonds_hotmail_com

Outside on the top of our house ceiling there are eggs. I'm sure they're eggs! I don't know what they are even though i searched the internet so many times! They're in a cluster and they're black and hairy. What are they?

Bookmark   January 28, 2011 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
Lilac Concerns
My lilac plant is... frying? ... Lives in zone 8a One...
kricsten
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Magnolia champaca- loosening of the leaves
As shown in the picture this Magnolia champaca planted...
b42anuradha
Sponsored Products
Furniture of America Willow Flannelette Recliner - IDF-RC6929BR
$399.99 | Hayneedle
Mr. Steam Home Automation Steam System
Signature Hardware
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs So Silky Salt
Home Depot
Celestina Wave Jacquard Grommet Blackout Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
Onion Keeper - Set of Two
$8.99 | zulily