Watering a Plumeria

kmv1109June 24, 2011

I had a plumeria a couple of years ago and killed by overwatering. Actually, trying to coax a bloom a little too far into dormancy.

So.. Last year, I got a new cutting and decided to start again. It's leafing out nicely, but I'm afraid to overwater!

What's a good rule of thumb for watering a plumeria? I feel like the leaves look a little droopy, but I just gave it a big drink at the first of the week.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tdogdad(Zone 9)

my rule is water once then no water until leaves are about 5 inches, then water weekly unless it is cool.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 2:12AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

If your cutting is well rooted, and when it's growing strongly with lots of leaves - usually in late June, July and August, they can take quite a bit of water. In dormancy and in Spring just as they leaf out, there is a much higher risk of overwatering with rot being the end result.

Don't know where you live so that will influence everything. I also don't know if you are growing in ground or in pots.

I grow all mine in pots so, during growing season, I water when soil feels dry about a 1/2" to an 1" down. We also have high humidity, so we probably don't need to water near as often as someone in say, Phoenix, AZ.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 2:39PM
kmv1109

Thanks for the responses!

I'm in the Pacific Northwest USA and I have her in a pot. I'm still bringing her inside at night and on our wet days, which have been many even up to a few days ago. The highest temp we've had so far is barely 85F.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 3:09PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

I dont think you will have to give it any additional water in the Pacific Northwest. I water my rooted plumerias once a day (they are big plants in small pots so they dry out completely every day in the warm weather). I try not to water my cuttings, but if its above 90F and very very sunny, I will give them a little water too.
My plumerias in the ground never get any additional water (actually I really dont water any of my tropicals in the ground too often).
-Alex

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
OT White Beach In Southern Cali?
I think I need to put Visine in my eyes.. Did I just...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Just Purchased KALEINANI Plumeria From 1 Stop Aloha On Ebay.
Hello Gang; My 1st purchase from 1 Stop, I read good...
edzone9
what do you think of the callus?
The three on the left are hard and appear to be good...
plumeriai45
update wrong time of year cuttings.
So several months ago I showed the 2 cuttings given...
rox146
My Plumeria Tree After NE Flotrida Hard Freeze .
Hello gang; This plumeria has been outside all winter...
edzone9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™