Farmerdill is "First Featured Gardener"

pamchesbayNovember 17, 2012

I know many of you are familiar with Farmerdill - the gentleman from Georgia who generously gives advice about growing vegetables.

A few months ago, I found a resource on the Cornell website called Vegetable Varieties for Gardeners (VVfG). The #1 contributor - with 569 reviews - is Farmerdill. You can read his reviews (beginning with Asparagus) here:

http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/main/myVeggies.php?alias=farmerdill

I have read Farmerdill's advice for years, and wanted to thank him for the advice he gives so generously.

Farmer Dill is Dillard Haley, the first featured gardener on Cornell's Vegetable Varieties for Gardeners - and he's even more interesting than I imagined.

"I am a depression baby, grew up on a small subsistence farm in Piedmont Virginia. Four rooms and a path, no electricity or running water ..."

Full article and photo here: http://blogs.cornell.edu/garden/get-activities/signature-projects/veg-varieties/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Pam,

I deliberately didn't comment on this for a few days because I wanted this thread to stay at the top of the page for a few days so everyone could see it. I respect Farmerdill's advice a great deal, and often look at specific variety recommendations on the Cornell website to see how he has rated them.

I would think that since y'all are fairly close together geographically, the varieties that do well for him ought to do equally well for you.

He has had an interesting life, and his life reminds me of my dad's life, although my dad was born quite a bit earlier--prior to the Dust Bowl years.

Dawn

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
asparagus is up
Went out to plant corn and peas and noticed I had about...
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma
Tomatoes in Oklahoma: Part I, Varieties/Types
We've been discussing several tomato-related topics...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
We're Having All Four Seasons of Weather This Week!
This is your warning that this week's weather is going...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
First post
This is my first try at posting. Did it work
stockergal
Any reason not to go ahead and plant now?
I'm seeing nothing even close to below 40 for the next...
dulahey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™