Orlando Coconut Palm: 30 months of growth

royalpaulm(Cen Fla 10a)October 10, 2010

Here is my green Malayan dwarf coconut palm. It was planted March 2008 in my yard in Windermere,, Fla (near Orlando).

When planted:

Summer 2009 - even fruited!

Here it is today. The past winter was a bad one, so not much fruit this year. Also grew considerably slower than the prior summer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kinzyjr

Very nice! I've been having some trouble getting mine to grow. They haven't moved over the last two months. Will probably have to replace them.

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 9:11PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Beautiful! Im glad that it survived the winter. That was a pretty historic winter for Florida and you wont have to worry about another winter like that for 20 years or more hopefully! I remember seeing what I think was coconut palm by a resort in Orlando a few years ago. I wonder if its still alive after last winter? Anyways, I think Orlando is a great place to be trying coconut palms and it will be really happy there most winters! I think you will get a good amount of coconuts from it really soon!
Thanks for sharing!
-Alex

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 9:45PM
royalpaulm(Cen Fla 10a)

Thanks guys. Last summer I had planned on adding a couple more to my yard but last years freak winter scrubbed those plans. I only have the time to protect 1 cold sensitive palm during a deep cold blast - so this will
be my 1 palm to baby. The rest of the yard is filled with palms that can easily weather the worst winter central Florida has to offer

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 7:47PM
kinzyjr

You're welcome! What all did you do to protect the tree last year? I'm curious because my highs and lows were within 1 degree of your location last year.

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 11:08PM
royalpaulm(Cen Fla 10a)

Last year I used Xmas lights and them wrapped with blankets and cloth covers - a pic is below. This year I'm planning on building a cheap PVC pipe cover to slip on it if temps fall below 30. I would then cover with plastic and heat with a small Space heater.

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
Windmill palm still alive in Chicago!
Going to have to build a bigger box next year! This...
rosekuchar
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
Spindle palm pot size?
Hey guys. It's been hovering around 0F here, with jaunts...
Cally Paparelli
dead?
I have a Pygmy date palm and I think I killed it. Is...
dollyday3
Survival of up rooted Palm.
I'm in coastal NC Z8b. Builders dropped off a up rooted...
camaross94
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™