new leaves on fiddleleaf fig has clusters of small red dots

patchesnbrownieOctober 13, 2009

Hello!

I had recently posted a question on this forum regarding my fiddleleaf fig tree and it was diagnosed as a general transplant shock. I had another question. The tree seems to be doing better (phew!) and sprouting out new leaves everywhere! BUT. The new leaves have clusters of these little rusty colored dots. They are shiny and just in the leaves (can be seen from front and back) but is NOT fuzzy or fungus-y. So I don't think it's rust. These dots are mostly just in the newest leaves...

Should I be concerned? What is going on??

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :)

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patchesnbrownie

Here is a close up shot! Please see the other photo on my original msg above.

Here is a link that might be useful: Close up photo

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 11:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elfe99_hotmail_com

I did some research because I think I'm having the same problem. I believe the problem may be under watering. Here's what I found at http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/foliage/folnotes/ficus.htm:

"Excessive moisture stress

Symptoms -
Small reddish spots, 1-3mm across, on the undersides of leaves of F. lyrata. The symptom is usually observed on stock plants in full sun which have been air layered, and most frequently during the driest months of December through June. This condition is rare on plants grown in shade. Leaves on wilted layers or cuttings of F. elastica, and possibly some other species, remain in relaxed orientation after normal moisture content is restored. This is a permanent condition. Branches of trees in an active state of growth may bend under moisture stress, then partially recover, leaving a permanent kink or "dogleg" in the stem.
Control -
Severe moisture stress can usually be avoided through good nursery practices. Leaf spotting can be prevented by timely irrigation of stock and use of the vertical slit technique of air layering versus the girdling procedure. Permanent petiole wilt and stem kinking can be avoided with adequate soil moisture and high humidity during propagation.

Prevention of excessive root development outside the container eliminates most of the shock that occurs when large segments of root are severed from plants because roots extend into soil below the pot. Use of plastic ground covers, drip irrigation and root pruning during production usually eliminates root pruning shock when plants are removed."
It could be something else, but I'm gonna try to water more and see what happens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus Production Guide

Bookmark   August 14, 2011 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™