Trachycarpus Fortunei - JimHardy?

tropicpalmsOctober 9, 2010

i have a question for mr jimhardy! i was trying to remember if you had a few windmills that got cold burn spear pull and u treated by cutting the tops off and copper fungicide? please let me know if that was correct im sure im not totally remembering it right but i just had a huge trachy have a spear pull and im guessing for that weeks of heavy rain and it wasnt doing good to start with but i just would like to try to save it if not too late thanks for the help in advance! --Justin in VB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimhardy

Yea,I had the trunk cut Trachys.

Is this planted?

It may be a little late to try cutting if it is.

Just guessing that it may not have been the rain in the crown that caused the spear to pull but possible root damage.

You may want to dig it up,rinse the soil off and inspect the roots,then-remove and dead roots and apply root hormone and repot.

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 12:30PM
subtropix

I think something more may be going on here than the rain. A healthy Trachy should not have spear pull in VB at this time of year despite recent heavy rains--especially after months and months of severe drought. Is there a soil drainage problem? Excessive moisture during warm weather can lead to spear rot but it is usually associated with soil that is not draining properly.

Bookmark   October 10, 2010 at 2:31PM
jimhardy

Could be sitting in water on top of clay.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
Areca seeds germinating
For years my palm was seeding but something always...
tropicbreezent
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
Coconut Palm
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and i'm just looking...
johnob
Coconut Palm in Newport Beach, CA
Hey guys, just thought you'd like an update on the...
cmventura
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™