Is this stem rot? x-section photo

nitsujJune 26, 2011

So have had this plumeria for 5+ years since it was a tiny little stick over a few moves, it finally bloomed last summer (currently reside in Portland, OR). As per usual each winter lost it's leaves this winter. Coming into spring had (what I thought was?) black tip (first photo) so I cut it back. It would start to grow back/heal but stayed soft. Now after pieces keep feeling soft I've tried to cut it back before the whole plant dies :( Figured I should doublecheck to make sure it IS stem rot though and not something else. Apologize the photo is blurry, phone wouldn't focus up close.

It still looks brown where I just cut it and it didn't ooze the milky white fluid, so not sure what's up. Keep cutting? Something else?

Blsck tip?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/JMH123456789/photo1-7.jpg

Stem rot?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/JMH123456789/photo2-8.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
labland(Inland Valley CA9)

Your photo isn't coming through, at least on my iPad. Try using Photobucket or another image downloading program (free).

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 10:33PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

maybe this will help get some responses.

Black tip? Looks like it to me.

Stem rot? Was this from the black tip one cut back?

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 8:30AM
nitsuj

thanks for the embed Dave! 2nd pic is from (repeated) cutbacks. Every time I've cut back it seems like the stem just ends up getting soft below the cutback - tho the plant does try to heal it closed quickly so I guess it's at least showing signs of life. Have had it for years and it finally bloomed last year, would be bummed if I can't save it. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong or should try is very much welcomed

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 11:56AM
nitsuj

I think I'll try the suggestions from this thread

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumeria/msg0701085919744.html?4

Thanks everyone for the advice

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 4:59PM
oorah(z10calif)

http://www.plumeria101.com/problems/black_tip.html

check out site

oorah

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 10:42AM
nitsuj

Thanks, had seen that before and is why I originally cut the top off to get below the rot. Went out today to try doing the suggestions in the thread I posted above but it was too far gone - in some parts it was hollow in the middle, in others it was like mud and there were some worms(?) in it. Sad, grew it from a little stick for 8 years, finally flowered last year.

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 6:39PM
Plumeriahut

try to keep cutting back until you see clear white bark...no even a small piece of brown...It is rotting..

There is good news! If you can find the white bark no matter how far back you have to cut it....you will get more branches, which in time will give you more blooms..

give it 1/2 tsp. plant epsom salt per gallon distilled water (of course dont give it the whole gallon) but enough to lightly water the soil.

hope this helps...:)

plumeriahut.com

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 6:47PM
nitsuj

Thanks for the advice, sadly it was too late for my plumeria :( Looking for another one now though and will definitely keep that advice handy in case I run into the same issue!

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Can anyone ID this plumeria?
This was my first plumeria. I found it in the backyard...
jedobaTX9b
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Plumies doing better
Hello! Just an update. My beautiful plumies are doing...
tamela_star
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
How To Give Away Plumeria
I bought a plumeria (gorgeous pinks and yellows) before...
treehugger101
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™