winter sowing again

seeker1122(7a ok)December 13, 2012

i NEED A LIST OF VEGGIES AND FLOWERS
I CAN SOW.
I TRYED DOWNLOADING AND MY NEW OLD
COMP CAN'T HANDLE IT SOMEONE HELP PLEASE.
I HAVE ALL THE SAVED CONTAINERS i'VE BEEN
HORARDING THEM FOR THIS MY FIRST YEAR.
TREE

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Tree, You can winter sow just about anything successfully. I'll link the FAQs from the Winter Sown Forum here at Garden Web. You also can find similar information at Wintersown.org. Several different FAQs address what types of seeds work well when wintersown, including perennials, biennials and hardy annuals The hardy annual list is the last FAQ on the FAQ page.

Wintersowing works especially well with any type of seed that needs cold stratification in order to germinate, including seeds of perennials and biennials. Many folks winter sow annuals as well. Any plant that self-sows readily and gives you volunteer seedlings in your garden will winter sow well too.

I'm sure that Susan, Lisa and others who wintersow regularly will be able to list specific types of seeds that wintersow well for them.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ From Winter Sowing Forum

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 6:05AM
seeker1122(7a ok)

Thanks Dawn thats just what I needed

Tree

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 7:31PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Tree, You're welcome.

Dawn

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 8:48AM
Lisa_H(7)

Tree, I have been fairly successful with just about anything I tried. If you want a quick feeling of success :), I would suggest starting with cool season crops and early spring flowers (larkspur, poppies, nigella, uh, lots more I can't remember at the moment!). I always start with the early stuff and perennials first and then work my way down to warm season seeds like zinnias. Every wintersower does it differently. I remember reading that someone used to sow alphabetically!

The wintersowing folks usually do a first sowing right around Christmas, at winter solstice. I think they really get started in January. I am usually a slug in winter and it is hard for me to get going before February :)

Hang around their forum, they are extremely friendly and will be happy to mentor you. We are too, of course!!

Lisa

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
Seedy Saturday Seed Swap
Seedy Saturday Seed Swap. February 28, 2015 When I...
duckcreekgardens
Attracting Beneficial Insects to Your Landscape
Sometimes I think many gardeners tend to overreact...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
Wave Pansy Giveaway
Enter through this Sunday, March 1st. 45 randomly-selected...
shankins123
More cold air to come
Hi everyone, I figured I'd update what I stated about...
wxcrawler
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™