Palm identification please

butiaman(8a Douglasville,GA.)October 18, 2010

I bought this palm about 3 yrs ago from Kroger.The tag that came on it just said palm.It bloomed three times this summer and it's starting another bloom spike.One thing I do know is it wont take but about an hour or so of sun in the morning.Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

Its a parlor palm. They hate the sun but love being outdoors in the shade! Mine blooms almost all year long, but especially inside during the winter. They are really easy palms to take care of and yours looks very healthy. Just watch out for spider mites when indoors, keep it above freezing at all times, and never put it in full sun (but it should be okay by a bright window).
Good luck!
-Alex

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 11:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butiaman(8a Douglasville,GA.)

Thanks Alex,When I bought it there was about 10 of them in a 3 inch pot.They was maybe 2 inches tall,they looked like very small bamboo.I separated them and all of them died but this one,for some reason.Someone told me it was a butterfly palm,but when I looked them up it didn't look like the picture of the one I found.I wondered why it seems to put out bloom spikes where a old frond use to be?I don't know where Kroger gets there plants,but they need a better labeling system. :)

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 9:04AM
More Discussions
Spindle palm pot size?
Hey guys. It's been hovering around 0F here, with jaunts...
Cally Paparelli
Areca seeds germinating
For years my palm was seeding but something always...
tropicbreezent
Yucca Rostrata
Does anyone has Yucca rostrata planted in the garden...
longaeva54
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
What's happening here?
One of my young cocos is showing these odd spots?I...
coconutman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™