Very small black eggs?

jeannies_garden(Texas 9)October 22, 2012

These are all over several potted plants I have on a huge table that's in my breezeway. They are mostly on the leaves (top and under) of blood lilies. The are also all inside of the top of the pot where there is no soil. They are on my spiral ginger, bromeliads, iris and a few other plants. They are also on a small pink flamingo (turns in the wind) made of wood. They do not smash and leave green on my fingers, so I'm thinking it's not poop, and they are smaller than a pin head. They come off really easy and on the iris, it leaves a light green circle where it was. Any ideas what it might be? Thanks, Jeannie :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

looks like poop to me...

smear one.. yeah i know.. yuck.. on white paper.. is it actually green??

look harder for the culprit.. cant be all that small with that coming out its back end ..

ken

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 5:10PM
jeannies_garden(Texas 9)

Tried the paper smear and the first one just flattened, the second one rolled up and the third one did leave a mark but it left a little brown mark. Had to really press on the last one. If it's bug poop, no problem, I'm just hoping they are not eggs from a bad bug. Thanks, Jeannie :)

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 10:45AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Are there chewed leaves also?

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 11:51AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It looks and sounds like the little spore packets thrown by an artillery fungus. These tiny fruiting bodies can be very difficult to locate because they often erupt from older wood. I don't mean just old tree stumps, but firewood, older building materials that are exposed to the elements, etc. I've seen artillery fungi erupt from the window frames of an older shed.....the spore packets were all over everything within shooting range.

It really doesn't sound like insect frass nor eggs, to me. Not after hearing all of your 'evidence'. I'll be curious as to your thoughts about my theory.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 1:25PM
jeannies_garden(Texas 9)

No chewed leaves that I noticed. Could it be from the pink flamingo? I have had it for years stuck in one pot or another. I have noticed that recently the wood had seperated. If it is these spores, is it bad for the plants? I watered the plants with the garden hose yesterday and some of the ones on the leaves came off easily, but I noticed the ones on side of the pot didn't come off just by watering. Thanks, Jeannie :)

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 2:09PM
jeannies_garden(Texas 9)

Here's a picture of the pink flamingo amongst all the potted plants. The majority of the black things, whatever they are, were mostly to the right side (behind him). Thanks, Jeannie :)

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 2:15PM

Are those regular moss roses or native Portulaca pilosa in the pot with the flamingo?

Just scrolled up to remind myself what plant these are on and noticed that Rhizo mentioned artillery fungus spores. Have you checked the surface of those pots for this stuff?

That makes me wonder if you have anything with explosive seed pods there, but the seeds would have to be somewhat sticky...

Ok now remember you saw this on a bunch of different plants, so not really possible to google a particular plant to see what critters it is known to host...

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 2:45PM
jeannies_garden(Texas 9)

Those are the mini moss rose plants. Thier black seeds are very tiny. Thanks, Jeannie :)

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 3:22PM

Bet those are cute when flowering. Regret not picking up a pack of seeds I saw this spring. It's been decades since I had some moss roses.

Do you see any of the native one I mentioned (Portulaca pilosa) in your area, maybe in cracks in the pavement, side of the road? They have tiny shocking pink flowers, just smaller than a pencil eraser.

Wondering if you have any plants there with exploding seed pods? Don't know why the seeds would stick to the leaves if you did...

Can't tell from your pic if these things on your plant are uniform in size or not. That would be a good clue leading away from or toward artillery fungus, a suggestion that seems to be being overlooked, or least not acknowledged, so not sure what your thoughts are about that.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 3:07PM
jeannies_garden(Texas 9)

I'm still not sure what it is. I've read all about the artillery fungus and saw the video, but still not 100% sure that's what it is. It's only on some of the plants on the table and now that I'm watching it closer, there's a few new ones on a few other plants. If it were the artillery fungus, then I think I would find them on the window and on some of the plants that are nearby on the ground.

As for the portulaca, my mom gave me plants years ago (atleast 31 years ago) and I'm the only one in the family that still has them. I use them as a ground cover in the beds that gets too much sun. The seeds from them are smaller than these black things I first posted about, but now comparing them, they look alot alike, just twice as big as the mini moss rose seeds. Maybe they are some sort of seed. They come off very easily when I rub my finger against them (the ones on the inside of the pot where there's no soil), so that's why I'm not sure it's the artillery fungus. Who knows. Thanks, Jeannie :)

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 5:52PM
jeannies_garden(Texas 9)

Here's a picture of the mini moss rose plant as a ground cover that I have a bed bordered with. Thanks, Jeannie :)

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 5:54PM

Wow that's a long time to have a plant! Are they perennials there? I've never investigated that since I haven't had any since moving to AL from OH, where they are definitely not. Do they bloom sporadically or is there a specific time for them to bloom once? It's been a long time since I had these for just one or two various summers in a pot.

I'm wondering if there's artillery fungus just starting in one of the pots in your group. Have you checked the soil in those for the little bird-nest looking things?

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 9:05AM
jeannies_garden(Texas 9)

I've always had a greenhouse so it's always in some of the potted plants and it seeds up so easily. I have other plants that I started out with years ago that I still have. One is the maple leaf begonia (also got from my mom), another is the 4 o'clock and I still have a schefflera plant my husband (of almost 32 yrs) had from his grandmother. I love plants and have way too many, but I also love propagating, so I always have more when the fall comes and I always need a bigger greenhouse :) My oldest son just came over and I sent him home with 6 different shade plants. Thanks, Jeannie :)

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 3:58PM
More Discussions
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™