fall garden probably done

borderokie(7)December 5, 2013

well the warm is gone. I have had spinach for my eggs every morning and I cut one head of cabbage this morning that Larry gave me (only had 2 survive the fall). We have had tender greens that I should have cooked more of and radishes. picked one little head of broccoli this morning and have blooms on my snow peas but I am afraid this is it. We have a chance of a lot of ice and very cold temps till next tuesday. I covered them anyway. Cant go down without a fight. .Sheila

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mulberryknob

You've lasted longer than we have. There's been nothing in our outdoor garden except arugula for over a month. I've been eating lettuce and spinach from the coldframe for several months, and have another coldframe with carrots and beets that I haven't touched yet. Inside the greenhouse we've been eating thinnings of coolseason greens for a month now. And today I pulled the first of the radishes in there. We will be covering the beds in there with sheets for this cold spell and just hope we can keep it all alive.

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 11:24AM
slowpoke_gardener

Well you have done much better than I have. The grasshoppers ate nearly all of my plants while the plants were on the porch. I gave the rest of them to my step daughter, I am not sure if she got any to produce.

I have onions that I planted from seed too late, they are not happy. I was planning on using the for green onions but they are too small. The Egyptian onions I got from George are doing well, but I think they will grow on a rock or snow ball, and anything in between.

Larry

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 11:31AM
borderokie(7)

I wouldnt say it was great. the grasshoppers mowed down the first planting of green beans so I waited a while. If I could have gotten the broccoli in the ground earlier would have had a good crop. Just couldnt beat off the hoppers. It was fun to fight the elements and win for a little bit. Not sure it is worth it money wise. The floating cover isnt cheap but I will use it for lots of things so all is well. Have been thinking about cold frames just havent done it yet. Sheila

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
More cold air to come
Hi everyone, I figured I'd update what I stated about...
wxcrawler
Cover crops that help with root rot
I just listened to a soil health talk on the web. My...
johnnycoleman
Attracting Beneficial Insects to Your Landscape
Sometimes I think many gardeners tend to overreact...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
Seedy Saturday Seed Swap
Seedy Saturday Seed Swap. February 28, 2015 When I...
duckcreekgardens
Purchased comppost and soil.
Somewhere recently I read a post that had a phone number...
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™