Calathea problems, please help

ginalee78October 5, 2011

I'm somewhat new to plants. I purchased a calathea (peacock plant) a couple weeks ago and I am now experiencing a host of problems. Please help me.

1. The leaves are browning in spots....I concluded that it must be a fungal infection and sprayed it with an organic fungacide last week. The brown spots keep happening. See photo.

(I also noticed, when the calathea folds up for the evening, that the stems on the back of the leaf also seem to be damaged.)

2. A few days ago, I noticed tiny (barely visible) white bugs crawling on the leaves. I'm not sure what they are...they don't quite look fuzzy enough to be mealy bugs and they move around too fast to be aphids. Can anyone help me? I purchased Bayer sticks but that is not arriving for two days.

I'm devestated that my beautiful calathea is having so many problems...

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
IpmMan(5)

The browning is quite likely to be just shock from a change in environment. Different light (too sunny), humidity or temperature. Plants growing in an environment adapt to it and can suffer when the environment changes suddenly. You chose a pretty tough customer for someone somewhat new to plants. These plants aren't the easiest things to grow, they are fussy about light drafts etc. I am not an expert on Calathea, but know they get a few leaf spot diseases. You can take samples and send them to your local extension service. It is somewhat pointless to treat with fungicide if you don't identify the problem. A fungicide that kills one fungus can have absolutely no affect on another. The bugs could be White Fly or juvenile leaf Hoppers but without Pictures of the bugs it is hard to tell. Look these two up on the web and see if they look like one of them.

Bookmark   October 6, 2011 at 9:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginalee78

Thanks for your response. I don't think the bugs are leaf hoppers or white fly because what I have is extremely small. It's barely visible to the naked eye. Therefore, even if I took a photo of the bugs, you would not be able to see them.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
sick chaya tree
There is a crack on the lower part of the trunk and...
jane2014_ec
Lilac Concerns
My lilac plant is... frying? ... Lives in zone 8a One...
kricsten
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™