outdoors in MI in November? Maybe!

andyandy(6bMI)November 8, 2012

Weekend forcast sunny and mid 60s. Lows in the mid 50s Saturday night. if that holds everything goes out for 2-3 days. That means it would hit mid 70s in front of my house (which has brick walls on either side of the front porch). I can give everything a good wash. The last couple day warm up we had I took all the palms out and got a new spear to pop out of one of my bottles.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

Getting into the 60s here, it's been so far below average temperature wise this month here that 60s are definitely well deserved! The cold comes back later next week here though unfortunately.
-Alex

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 10:01AM
LagoMar(USDA 8/AHS 7)

Alex did you get snow where you are?

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 11:31AM
andyandy(6bMI)

After July was one of the two hottest on record it has ben below avergage August was OK but September cold.

Alex-
I hope youve made it through the ruff stuff. I heard yesterday was interesting. I would never have thought a Hurricane could keep its strength that far north this late in the year. I would have thought the water was too cold. Mybe it brought warm water up with it from the south.

Bookmark   November 8, 2012 at 11:47AM
tropicalzone7(7b)

LagoMar, I did get some snow! A lot of trees still have leaves so they were pretty heavily weighed down (the snow was pretty heavy too). Luckily the snow only stayed on the ground for a day, it's gone now and hopefully it wont be back until it's supposed to be back which is mid December!
Andyandy, the worst part about Sandy is that it was really pushed into the area because of a blocking high pressure over the atlantic (blocking it's chance to curve out to sea) and a jet stream that was twisted at a ridiculous and very rarely seen angle! Sandy managed to maintain most of it's tropical characteristics, but it was actually a hybrid of a hurricane and noreaster when it hit here. Because it was a hybrid it no longer needed warm water to grow in strength, it only needed moisture from the jet stream. Water temperatures along the Gulf stream are still mild this time of the year which is why it took so long for it to loose it's tropical characteristics.
Sandy was an incredible storm and definitely the "perfect" storm. Most people probably thought a storm like Sandy could only happen in theory and not real life!
-Alex

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 10:12AM
andyandy(6bMI)

Interesting and tragic. I'm sorry you all had to go through it. Here in Michigan we don't really get a lot of crazy weather Unless you live along the great lakes and you get the lake effect snow. Where I live an occasional tornado is about it.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 1:24PM
More Discussions
Please help identify my cycad
Hi all, I bought a cycad from a palm nursery that was...
aramat
Germinating Bismarckia nobilis in cool subtropical climate
Hi, I am on Pico island in the Azores and there is...
PicoAzores
Bangalow Palm Separation - Triple Planted
hi, i had just separated Bangalow Palms that i just...
acaryofyllis
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
Windmill palm still alive in Chicago!
Going to have to build a bigger box next year! This...
rosekuchar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™