Jerusalem artichoke harvest

mulberryknobDecember 9, 2013

Because the gophers have eaten our 'chokes in the past, we planted 5 tubers in a feed tub--the orange one--and kept it well watered. When Glenn went to dig them with an earth fork, it didn't work. So he dumped it out and found an almost solid mat. This pic was taken after he had teased a four gallon bucketful out of the rootwad.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mulberryknob

And this is the harvest. I don't know what they cost in stores--never see them. But in one of the seed catalogs, starter tubers were $8.95 a lb. We ended with 40 lbs.

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 12:31PM
shankins123(7aOKC)

Wow! That's impressive!
How will you prepare them??

Sharon

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 5:37PM
mulberryknob

We like them raw, sliced into salads, or stirfried. We've never had so many before. Don't know how we will prepare them. I may try steaming them with butter and garlic, salt and pepper.

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 6:13PM
macmex

Dorothy, I once baked a couple. It took a while, and they never did turn real soft. They tasted absolutely WONDERFUL! So much so, I gorged on them. But then, a couple of hours later I wondered if a person might die from gas!

Still, that might just be be. If you sliced them into a stir fry with no ill effect, you might get away with simply steaming them.

I boil mine, through out the water, and boil them once more, before eating them. That seems to help with the flatulence problem. One time I took the time, after this, to slice them and do French fries. They were DELICIOUS. However, that process was rather time consuming.

Without doing two changes of water, I have simply chopped them into a stew, which would then simmer on the wood stove all day. They are great this way, and I don't believe they cause me any problems at all. Also, for some reason, I have never had any gas problem when I eat them raw.

We haven't dug ours. But I suspect we will have a very good harvest. The rodents didn't bother our garden very much this year.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 7:11PM
soonergrandmom

I haven't harvested mine either and I had some really big plants.......and I hope I DON'T get 40 pounds. LOL

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 7:35PM
thecollegekid(5b)

will these overwinter in the OKC/norman area. Looking to branch out the varieties I am growing at the OU community garden and if anyone around has some extra tubers let me know

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 4:47PM
merrybookwyrm

Those chokes are gorgeous! That is an amazing harvest. Just, wow.

Might beano help forestall the gas problem? I think I only ate jerusalem artichokes once, a long time ago.

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 7:00PM
macmex

Hey collegekid, " if anyone around has some extra tubers let me know," of course we have extras! ;) I'd be happy to send you some. Send my your mailing address and I'll mail you enough for a 15' row. Just send me back the cost of postage after you receive the package. You can plant them any time you can get them in the ground.

George
Tahlequah, OK

P.S. Last Saturday I dug up three fork fulls on the outside edge of the root system of just one plant. That gave me nearly two gallons of roots! Here's a picture of one of the larger ones.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 4:47AM
mulberryknob

George beat me to it and so generously. I was going to offer a half dozen for postage. If anyone else wants some, email me.

George, we have several like that too. Do you plant big ones like that whole or break them up or do you plant smaller ones. We planted smaller ones last year because that was what we were given. Then after we dug we replanted small ones and mulched the tub with leaves. Hope they overwinter there and come up next spring.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 9:06AM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Wow, what a great harvest, Dorothy! I love growing plants in molasses feed tubs for many reasons, and excluding soil-dwelling pests is chief among them. I have some beautiful orange molasses feed tubs just like yours, but most of mine are black. In the past I have had some that were blue and some that were pink, though their color fades to almost white or beige after a couple of years in the sun.

I've often thought that I could garden almost completely in molasses feed tubs and other large containers.

George, The rodents were down here eating everything they could find this past garden season, so I guess they needed a change of scene. At least the groundhogs didn't travel this far south in their endless quest for garden domination. We raised many wonderful crops this year, but chief among them was a huge crop of voles. I was irritated by all the damage they did, but at the same time, I was relieved they only were voles, and not an army of grasshoppers, squash bugs or stink bugs.

Apparently sunchokes love our climate, y'all, which is good since so many other plants can struggle here with the all-too-frequent droughts and the sometimes insanely high summer temperatures.

Maybe 2014 will be one of those good garden years like 2004, and all the harvests will be beautiful and abundant. It doesn't hurt to have hope and optimism as one calendar year winds down and a new year waits in the wings, right?

Dawn

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Where's everybody at
I guess everybody is out planting taters and onions. Got...
oldbusy1
2015 Spring Fling Anyone?
It must be so. I've reserved a porta-potty and marked...
p_mac
seed swap tulsa
are they having the seed swap in Tulsa today
oldokie
Pinching growing tips on tomato seedlings?
Every spring usually after I've transplanted my tomatoes,...
jcheckers
Cover crops that help with root rot
I just listened to a soil health talk on the web. My...
johnnycoleman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™