Selective herbicide usage

cherax(Syd NSW Aust)November 29, 2012

Hello All....
I have a perplexing problem with Erharta (introduced grass) absolutely invading a sea of predominately bromelliads and aside from using diluted Roundup G2 wonder whether any people have ideas relating to selective destruction of monocots whilst leaving dicots and broms alive. I know that roundup diluted can be safe (conducting dilution trials) just interested in others experiences.
All thoughts are welcome

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Selective herbicide use is easy.

Roundup kills monocots & dicots, thus is NOT selective.
Because you want to kill grass (monocots) among dicots, use an herbicide which only kills monocots.

But realize that bromeliads are monocots. So you could paint the herbicide onto the grass while avoiding the bromeliads.

Check the label to determine whether or not you need to dilute the herbicide for a paint-on application. For that purpose, it's often applied full strength.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 9:17PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i used roundup ... by using a chem proof rubber glove.. with a cotton glove on top ... and a bucket of round up ... and simply grabbed and bathed the grass in the garden ...

it was a bit tricky to start.. but once i learned how to get the excess out of the cotton glove.. it worked pretty well ... [basically i quit dunking the whole glove in the solution .. and dripping everywhere]

you are in a box that says you want to SPRAY ... there are other application procedures ...

this is one of those jobs.. where one is hoping there is an easy way to do it ... life in my garden.. usually dictates.. that there is no easy way ... and its all hard work ... or a long process ....

good luck ...

ken

ps: the alternative would be to prep a new bed ... remove one or two of everything precious .. and then simply destroy the old bed ... and start over ... and sometimes with an invasive weed such as grass.. that ends up being the only real alternative ...

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 7:52AM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

Cherax, Fluazifop, the active ingredient in FusilladeIIî, takes grasses out of broad-leaf plants. I have used it successfully to take torpedo grass Panicum repens out of hedges.
The product is expensive but it has an extensive and comprehensive label.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 1:44PM
cherax(Syd NSW Aust)

Thanks ronalawn82
thats the info that I need to pursue
many thanks
andrew

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
atrazine
I am not a novice gardener, and yesterday I applied...
nancy1648
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Sure fire way to get rid of Earwigs
I read the FAQ's for Earwigs and no mention was made...
dowlinggram
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™