HELP! Diatomaceous Earth doesn't seem to be working on fleas
I'm wondering what's going on here - I purchased some DE on Ebay back in August and started applying it around the yard. I would continue to walk out there and still found fleas out there though. I ended up buying nematodes and applying them earlier this week (hopefully it's more effective).
Anyway, I decided to do a little experiment and caught some fleas and put them in a jar with several tablespoons of DE. One of the fleas died but I think it was because the jar was slightly wet and I put DE in after and it probably drowned in some of the paste that formed. I made sure to put more fresh DE in after the water dried up too.
I still have 3 fleas left (one I caught a couple days ago but the other two have been in the jar for a good week now). The DE seems to be having no effect on them!
I've read conflicting information from various sources - some say DE doesn't work on adult fleas and only works on larvae. Others have reported their experience that it does work and have even said they caught fleas, put them in a jar with DE, and they were dead within hours at most.