Plumeria stenophylla seedling

karyn1(7a)July 31, 2012

This doesn't look much like the rubra seedlings I've grown. It's also a much slower grower. I started this one about 5 or 6 months ago. My rubras would be at least twice the height and much thicker stemmed, not to mention the needle like foliage. The mature tree I took the pod from had narrow leaves but they did look similar to a rubra. The pod was similar to a rubra but thinner and the seeds were a bit thinner with a shorter wing. I wonder how long this will take to look like a mature plant? I got the pod when I was in the Cayman Islands this past winter. The trees were at least 30' tall. Does anyone grow this variety?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elucas101(8)

That's really interesting Karyn, I've never seen that variety! It's so different, very cool! What do the flowers look like?

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 9:51AM
karyn1(7a)

The blooms were very similar to a regular plumeria. The petals were a bit thinner and a little longer. These were from a white flowered tree. I don't know if stenophylla comes in any other colors or not. It wasn't that this was such a wonderful plumie. It's just that I was in the Cayman's and the pods were there. I collected a huge variety of seeds there. Like other tropical areas, many of their weeds are our nursery plants.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 1:12PM
labland(Inland Valley CA9)

They also have an awesome scent!!! Keep us posted, I have always wanted one, but don't inow how well they grow compared to rubra and obtusa. Jennifer

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Length of dormancy....
Greetings! I have two grafted plumeria, Celadine and...
scott_madison
My Plumeria Tree After NE Flotrida Hard Freeze .
Hello gang; This plumeria has been outside all winter...
edzone9
neighbor nut
well, I guess it takes all types....we manicure our...
rox146
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™