Chili Advice - Small Plants

JoshuaWJune 25, 2012

Hi there,

I am growing some super hot chillies this year. I have never grown any super hot and it seems that they are alot harder to grow; the plants are not very tall. I have attatched a picture of them; I can't really see them cropping this year as the weather has been so poor in the UK. It is cold for the time of year and there hasn't been much sunshine.

I feed them with Chilli Focus plant food when they require watering. Two are Trinidad Butch T Scorpion and the other is a Naga Viper. I also purchased some Jolokia plug plants but they arrived very late and I don't think they will catch up this season.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
habjolokia

The supers are slow growing, they still don't look too small. Too bad with the weather though. I have 4 plants about that size late start two TS, 1 Bhut, 1 7pod. I will get a harvest about Aug/Sept. I am in zone 7 though. You may have to bring them in at the end of your season if necessary to finish ripening the fruit.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 11:09AM
JoshuaW

more pics.....

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 11:18AM
JoshuaW

more pics...

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 11:20AM
JoshuaW

Can anyone give any advice on why the leaves are slightly yellowed and on the far left plant, the leaves are slightly split and brown?

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 11:24AM
steven1032

too much water. check your soil. mine are doing the same thing. have to be careful when watering.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 12:42PM
capoman(5a)

Although it looks like a nitrogen and/or magnesium deficiency, I'd say it's to much water as well. Your soil looks extremely fine grained. Might want to check out 5:1:1 soil mix from the container forum.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 2:46PM
don555(3a)

I wouldn't worry too much about the slight yellowing. It is on older leaves only and the new leaves look deep green. Might have been something like a shortage of nitrogen but might just as well be that the leaves are just getting old -- take a close look at any garden plant and you will see old and dying leaves, as long as the overall health is good I wouldn't worry. As for the split and brown leaf, that is clearly some kind of physical damage -- could be a falling branch, wind damage, an animal, just about anything, but nothing to worry about.

Your real issue is that I agree with you that I don't think those have any chance of fruiting outside by the end of a UK summer, so you're going to have to figure out how to bring them inside and give them decent light when the weather turns cool, to let the fruit grow and ripen.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 1:10AM
More Discussions
best flavored of the "super hots"
I am sort of reluctant to use the words "super...
robeb
MY PEPPER LIST FOR 2015
I GROW IN 5 GAL. WOODEN POTS ON MY DECK. CHARLSTON...
dac596
Progress Video 3/26/15
Here's a look at my plants. Things are finally starting...
peppernovice
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Sponsored Products
Silk Fancy Style Slim 7-foot Bamboo Tree
Overstock.com
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina Black Outdoor Floor Lamp with a
Home Depot
Jaipur Fables Spellbound Modern Abstract Pattern Viscose/Chenille Rug Multicolor
$43.00 | Hayneedle
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Catalina Bisque Outdoor Floor Lamp with
Home Depot
Green Large Bucket Planter/Vase
$14.99 | zulily
Algreen ErgoGarden Elevated Garden Bed Planting System - 32002
$149.99 | Hayneedle
Notre Dame Fighting Irish 'Country' Grommet Flag
$14.99 | zulily
Rose Red Retro Chrome Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™