Tiny grey flying insects in soil

Pixie987November 16, 2013

I have a lot of tiny grey flying insects on top of the soil in the corners of my raised beds. It looks like the soil is covered with grey crawling specks, with a cloud of flying insects up to a couple of cm above the soil. They are right in the corners of the bed, not near the plants themselves. They are attracting a lot of ants.

I thought they might be fungus gnats but from what I've read, fungus gnats are about 0.2 inches long - these are much smaller.

Does anyone have any idea what they could be?

This post was edited by Pixie987 on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 0:22

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

if they are not affecting the plants ...

may i suggest that they dont need to be fixed ...

but dont get me wrong.. ID them is a great idea ...

but it is early spring for you.. isnt it.. why does this surprise you .. all the bugs are having their coming out parties.. lol ...

ken

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 9:27AM
Pixie987

Hi Ken

I think they might affecting the plants - even though they don't seem to be right near the plants, the two seedlings nearest to them have died. All of the other seedlings are healthy.

Yes it's early spring here - brand newbie gardener here, still learning the basics like bugs coming out to party in spring :)

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 3:00PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

seedling death ... for a newbie??? ...

heck.. i still kill seedlings... lol .. and many.. die gratuitously ....

though bug related death is possible ... its just too far a jump in logic ... i would think soil issues ... god knows what.. drainage... damp off.. molds.. mildews .... sometimes i wonder if they just dont hate me.. and prefer suicide ... to living with me ... lol...

newbs tend to think bugs do a lot of damage ... well.. they can .. but its usually the 3rd or 4th guess at what went wrong ...

w/o a pic of the dead plant.. its hard to guess .. much further ...

but the lesson here ... unless you can SPECIFICALLY ID damage to a plant.. then a bug does NOT need to be killed .... [with the exception of those that insist on living in my house.. or biting/stinging ones that think my front door would be a fabulous spot for a nest ... those die upon discovery.. lol]

good day ...

ken

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 7:51AM
More Discussions
Acacia invaded by Caterpillars!
My wife and I don't know what to do. We have a small...
llilibel03
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Whitefly?
Hi guys, I have had whitefly interfering with some...
botch13
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™