Very small white larva, Hedera helix

smishgibson(7b)November 27, 2013

Found these on some variegated hedera helix cuttings i have under lights.

I held a 200x loupe over the leaf and took a picture through it with my cell phone.

To the naked eye, they are larger than adult spider mites, but still very small.

For now, i removed all i could find manually with a paper towel wet with 50/50 water/isopropyl alcohol.

This post was edited by smishgibson on Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 18:43

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

An aphid. Squish them all.
Then check daily in case you missed any of their kin. ('Cuz you probably did!)

Bookmark   November 27, 2013 at 7:03PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Aphids. These are quite simply controlled with sharp water sprays that knock the wee buggers off the plants.
Alcohol is not a good insecticide and can do far more damage to plants then the insects the alcohol is meant to control. Alcohol can interfere with photosynthesis as well as cause a plants leaf to loose cell moisture, just as it draws moisture from your bodies cells.

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 6:54AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Kimmsr, rubbing alcohol is very commonly recommended as a safe and efficient control for mites, aphids, mealybugs, and other small pests. I've used it for years on a wide variety of indoor plants with zero problems.

It is often applied as a diluted spray mixed at the rate of one part alcohol to three parts water. Hedera helix would certainly be one of the safe plants.

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 8:15PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Kimmsr, rubbing alcohol is very commonly recommended as a safe and efficient control for mites, aphids, mealybugs, and other small pests. I've used it for years on a wide variety of indoor plants with zero problems.

It is often applied as a diluted spray mixed at the rate of one part alcohol to three parts water. Hedera helix would certainly be one of the safe plants.

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 8:16PM
smishgibson(7b)

Thanks so much for the ID guys. I feel silly not knowing something so common as an aphid. I guess I'm just lucky I haven't had to deal with them yet. Two treatments of manual removal with water/alcohol seems to have done it. I will watch this and all plants in the same room closely for a week or so before I call it done.

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 10:46AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Rubbing alcohol is my go-to treatment for any plant with smooth (not fuzzy) leaves. You can also use it on a cotton ball or q-tip, to gently wipe leaves, whatever's appropriate for the plant/leaf shape and your patience level.

For a similar look without so much potential for pest population, consider variegated Hoya carnosa, Philodendron 'Brasil,' Ceropegia, Syngonium, Columnea, Aptenia cordifolia. These all have very pretty (IMHO) leaves, a dangling habit, without the reputation for being virtually impossible to keep pest-free (like ivy) though any plant can get some kind of pest.

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 7:54AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i am with kimmr on the water ... its basically free ..

if small enough.. start shower .... invert in one hand .. and give it a shower ... presuming i suppose.. you have a hand held shower head ...

just wash it off for a few weeks running.. interrupt the breeding cycle ... trying to avoid making the media sodden ....

all my house plants are outdoors for summer... in mid fall.. i treat with a systemic .. outdoors... to insure that what i bring in.. has sterile media [in terms of bugs] ... as well as clean plants ... prevention is so much easier than the cure ...

ken

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 2:57PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I'd love to see a pic of one house plant of yours, Ken.

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 3:31PM
More Discussions
Magnolia champaca- loosening of the leaves
As shown in the picture this Magnolia champaca planted...
b42anuradha
A couple of I.D.'s please
Please tell me it's a good guy.... And, I think I already...
woohooman
Will these onions be any good?
I planted onions last year and the grass got in them...
beefarmer61
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Treating tomato plants with dishwashing soap
This is my first time here, so i hope i am following...
susanbf714
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™