Heat Wave

Kathy89July 18, 2012

Could I have picked a worse time? I ordered from BBB late last week & my order shipped yesterday, in the middle of a heat wave here on the east coast.

Anyone have suggestions if rooted cuttings arrive STRESSED?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

Kathy id say water and shade is about the best you could do.

Check out our 7 day forecast. gonna be hot hot hot. The 70's look nice but thats usually right before sunrise. heat indexes should push 110+.

Mike

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 10:09AM
Kathy89

OMG! my brother lives out there in Claremore, I know it gets hot but whew! Hope you have nice shade for the plumies. (and A/C for you)

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 10:37AM
the_first_kms2(8/9)

Yeah that is a broiler...even by Texas standards. If acclimated, your more mature plants will be fine. Morning to mid-afternoon sun and more watering. I have said it before but I have not found a way to overwater in that kind of heat. (Not saying that someone couldn't)

I have my youngsters in afternoon shade from an oak tree and mature plumerias.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 10:42AM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

Kathy the AC will be working overtime for sure.

K I know you Texans get it pretty bad also. At this rate we may be zone 9 before you know it. Actually if I had my choice we would be, :). all my smaller ones got moved to below a shade cloth for now. They would just burn up if left out. My larger ones that are plunged seem to soak it up pretty good.

mike

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 10:54AM
jandey1(TX8)

Kathy, your plants will arrive stressed no matter the temperature, from being bare-rooted and shipped. They're very resilient when rooted so don't worry about it.

Just put a bucket of water--preferably rain water--out in the sun to warm up, put a few drops of Superthrive or B-1 in it, and when the plants arrive, just set them in the bucket and put the bucket in shade. That should help them draw in some moisture before you pot them up a couple hours later.

I've actually been transplanting a few pot-bound ones in this heat (just because I like to tempt the plumeria gods into smiting me) and all mine have taken it without so much as a drooping leaf. Good luck and let us know how they look!

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 1:12PM
beachplant(9b)

depends where you are in Texas, El Paso that is a cool front for this time of year, Houston, a little above normal. The island? We would really be whining.

I put everything in a tub of water to soak when I bring it home.

We`ve had so much rain I have been planting stuff in the ground along with transplanting things.

Stay cool ya`ll!
Tally HO!

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 2:19PM
Kimberly

Kathy, I ordered a rooted Hula Girl from BBB almost 2 weeks ago an it arrived with wrinkles from the heat/stress. But now the wrinkles aren't very noticeable at all and they're getting smaller by the day. Just wanted to share my experience and two cents. ;)

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
scale
Laura and Peg...is this the scale my husband thinks...
rox146
Siam Red Showing It Is Still Awake...
Hello Everyone!!! I just wanted to post a pic of Siam...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
My Plumeria Tree After NE Flotrida Hard Freeze .
Hello gang; This plumeria has been outside all winter...
edzone9
Any Good Plumeria Nurserys In The Miami Area ?
Hello Gang; Will be spending next weekend in Miami...
edzone9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™