Damaged leaves of banana shrub and jasmine

chrlinNovember 1, 2008

I have a banana shrub and an Arabian jasmine potted in separate pots but next to each other. I've had them for about 1 year, and since a few months ago, both plants have been having similar problems with their leaves. About 10-20% of their leaves appear to be deformed entirely, or partially burned, or as if being chewed up along the edges. Yet I cannot find any visible bug on the plant. I observed some of the leaf buds just seem to grow out that way, like a genetic defect. In addition, some of the young buds of jasmine just don't develop and die. Please help identify the problem and share some insight how to cure it. I really appreciate your help!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Plant leaves like that often indicate some nutrient deficiency, when that cannot be traced to an insect pest.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 6:46AM
gardenerme(z9/21 inland socal)

I have seen leaves like that on my plants when they have been attacked by aphids in the very early bud stage. The buds become deformed and then open up to a deformed leaf. There are typically no aphids visible by the time I see the damage. You can remove the leaves if they are unsightly, and aphids can be managed with a strong spray of water. They certainly won't kill the plant. Just make the leaves look deformed.

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 3:59PM
ray_debashis_gmail_com

The problem especially if on younger or new leaves is likely to be Boron deficiency. Try one gram of borax(Hindi Suhaga) per pot dissolved in a cup of water. Effect can be expected to show on newest leaves about 3weeks after treatment.
Do not give any more borax for two months, and do not give in excess.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 1:21AM
More Discussions
A rabbit! Argh!
Of all the problems I expected in a suburban dessert,...
deserthawk
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Hardiness zone question
I've always wondered about hardiness zones. When a...
cakbu
Tomato disease
My tomato is under attack. It looks like both insects...
garf_gw
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™