What animal made these soil piles-pics???Pls Help

wliu57November 18, 2009

I posted this one here several wks ago w/o pics.

Now pls see the pics I made today.

When I checked the soil piles and could not find obvious holes under the soil piles.

Home Depot people said that they were made by Gopher. And they suggested using gopher killer.

I tried it wk ago. It did not work. These are the fresh ones.

Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Wei

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

They definitely look like Gopher holes. I would suggest Castor bean seeds. You have to dig out the hole and place the seeds as deep as you can in the hole. The gopher will eventually come back to bury the hole and hopefully take the bait. I used to put a water hose in the hole and sit and wait with BB gun in hand but that could use quite a bit of water and washes soil out of the holes which leads to cave-ins throughout the yard. After using Castor beans we didn't see gophers for several years.

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 1:19AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I've seen lots and lots of mole hills just like that. Do you have lots of the in your yard? Are they within close proximity to each other?

I've even seen shrews build those types of mounds.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 1:44PM
jjl1

Hard to say from the angle. A slightly wider shot would help. It could be moles. It looks like the soil is pushed up. If it is moles, then the gopher killer won't work. It is probably a pellet product, and moles are insectivores, specifically they eat earthworms and grubs. They won't eat the pellets with any regularity. Go back to Home Depot and ask them for a product called Tomcat brand Mole Killer. If they don't have it, I know Lowe's does. It's shaped like a worm, which makes sense, since Moles eat worms. However, I've used it a few times, and it has never failed me. As long as you follow the directions, it should get rid of the mole within a couple of days.

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Getting rid of soil nematodes
Dear veggie lovers: This is my first season growing...
diane_zn7a_albqnm_5500ft
sudden black stains on indoor plant with insects
These black stains appeared suddenly on an indoor plant....
patriiiiiiiiiick
Tomato Leaf Disease
The tomato disease has begun here in Miami. Does this...
garf_gw
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™