Weird frangipani problem!

vlankaDecember 13, 2007

Hello! I have a frangipani that is planted in the ground and is about three years old. I have noticed just recently that the bark on the stems is splitting open and there are roots growing out of the splits. They aren't long roots but they look like clusters of maggots and it is quite freaky and weird. Does ANYONE know what is going on?! I live in Sydney, Australia. Cheers!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

vlanka, your observation has been dealt with on the Plumeria forum.

Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 10:11PM
junemabbott

Hi

I live in Sydney Australia. I have been renting my current home for 5.5 years - not sure how old the tree is but it's obviously at least 8 years old. My frangipani tree is also exhibiting the same weird roots emerging from the branches (not anywhere near the ground!!).

Is it worthwhile cutting off the branch with the roots and replanting? I suspect the soil around the tree is probably not quite sandy enough. Suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Don't know how to upload a photo - sorry!

With thanks in advance.
June

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 9:32PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

june,

Most likely adventitious roots -- in other words, roots sprouting in an unusual place. Fairly common in tomatoes. Triggered by stress, or high humidity, or for unknown reasons.

FYI: Next time, start a new thread with your question. That way you can have the answers sent directly to you. In this instance, the original person (back in Dec 2007) will receive this reply.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 1:16AM
More Discussions
sick chaya tree
There is a crack on the lower part of the trunk and...
jane2014_ec
coleus crisis -- leafhopper/ weevil/ cyclamen mites combo?
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Possible plant disease?
Hi, Leaves on one of my new hedges have a white powder...
Dean Maunder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™