Pepper ID

sworegonjim(8)June 15, 2011

Any ideas on what this pepper's ID is? The plant tag listed it as a cayenne. This isn't mine, it is a plant belonging to "Zill", from an eailer post, "When to pick Cayenne."

Here is a link that might be useful: When to pick Cayenne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thenewmidwestchilehead

It looks sorta like a New Mexico Pi�ata - a jalape�o that ripens different colors, but they are a little blocky for a jalape�o.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 1:44PM
sworegonjim(8)

I guess a Fresno is red and not orange. Are there types of Cayennes shaped and colored like these?

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 4:25PM
Pic-Z

I have never successfully grown Cayennes, but know that they get much bigger and believe that they come to a point. Fresnos have a more conical shape and thick walls, also to a point. So definitely not them.

Btw: All peppers mature to a red color to encourage birds to eat them and propagate them elsewhere, The color of any of them just depends on when you pick.

Happy Planting,
Pic-Z

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 5:43PM
chile_freak

all the cayenne types ive seen are between 4 and 8 inches long and very slim also they r usually wrinkled around the tops, so far the only peppers ive seen like those are on party platters at sams club and they r sweet w/ no pungency whatsoever

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 11:24PM
tsheets(5)

Pic-Z: "Btw: All peppers mature to a red color to encourage birds to eat them and propagate them elsewhere, The color of any of them just depends on when you pick."

This statement couldn't be more wrong. There are many colors of ripe peppers - Yellow, Orange, Red, Brown, Purple..... I don't know if any remain green (none come to mind), and generally, ripe ones are bright colored, but, not exclusively red.

OP: I was also wondering if they are hot or sweet. They look a lot like the Crunch Sweet Orange I got from a generous member here a year or so ago.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 4:33PM
Zill(z9 AZ)

sworegonjim: My thanks for the great help on this ID.
All: I've only eaten this in eggs. I thought, "what the hey" and popped a small raw one in my mouth. Gasp! I'll have to revise my assessment from warm to REAL HOT. I now think some sort of habanero hybrid. I may never know the actual name, but I'm treating it as a habanero. Thank you all for the help.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 7:01PM
sworegonjim(8)

You are welcome. Wish you could have learned something conclusive. Sure sounds HOT. I just don't have enough experience to hazard a guess. Great looking peppers.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 1:38AM
More Discussions
Failed Germination: Anyone have spare seeds they'd like to spare?
Hey everyone. First time being on here since last season,...
tom1992
Gooey Seeds?
For people who are starting their seeds using a paper...
beverly_
Deleting threads now....
Sad when there's a heated argument going and admins...
woohooman
Northeast folks - when are you starting seeds?
Boston - planning on 3/1 (next Sunday!)
peps_22
Sprouting leaves on peppers drying
My new leaves are going dark and drying off in most...
tomyres
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™