termites this far North getting under siding?

cheerpeopleDecember 17, 2006

I just saw a segment on 'Housmarts' discussing termites.

I live in zone 5a and wonder if they could survive over winter this far North?

I see from a web search that there are 4 types in IL. But Il is a long state and the southern part ( zone 6) might be the only place they live?

2 years ago I brought some massive grapevines to my porch from the woods.

They were cut off so as not to take root. I use them to support my clematis.

This last year I noticed little holes bored in the grape vines and little piles of sawdust under them.

I noticed that a clicking sound would occasionally come from the grape vines and finally by the end of the summer I caught one of the pests. It looked like a winged ant. I didn't give it another thought.

Today when I saw the show on 'homesmarts' it made me wonder if this ant could be a termite? I can't find pics of those in IL but I read there are 4 types. The subterranian one with mud tubes is mentioned but I have no mud tubes that I noticed.

My porch is sided.

Do you think this sounds like a termite?

If so-is it a type that would die over the winter? Or could it affect my sided house?

thx Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Loretta NJ Z6

I wouldn't worry about the siding as much as the structure.
If you hear a clicking sound, you might suspect the holes are made from some kind of wood boring beetle like Old House Borer. Here is a link that describes the audible sound of the larvea chewing - like fingernails tapping. You can search on google for the image of the beetles. You can also search "wood borer clicking sound" to see some articles and other opinions.
Here is another link: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IG119

As far as the flying ant, no one can tell you if it was an ant or a termite. Even if it was an ant, it could be a carpenter ant. I think termites swarm in spring mostly but I can't say for sure.

You have dead grapevine wood against your house. This is a food source for many insects. The deadwood provides a path to your house. We can't tell you from here whether or not your house is infested. Perhaps you need to call in an exterminator and get rid of the dead wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old House Borer

Bookmark   December 17, 2006 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Help for my Privet
I have two large privets outside on my Patio, (i live...
estesdv
Hibiscus plant has brown growths on stem
So, I believe this is a hibiscus plant, although it...
stilllucky0
ID please
Found a bunch of these crawling around my rain barrel....
woohooman
Pepper problem
I am a doctor and gardening beginner, trying my luck...
heshamsaeed
Sponsored Products
Bana Dining Set with Large Rectangulate Table with Backless Chairs and Benches
Overstock.com
Zuo Fort Mason Distressed Wood Shelf
Euro Style Lighting
Sturbridge Lamp Post
Grandin Road
Balthazar Rectangular Table
Overstock.com
Versailles Raised Garden Bed
Grandin Road