Washingtonia Palm Problem - Please Help!

jax_lexaNovember 10, 2012

Hi,

Our 3 palm trees have been planted for about 3 months. Initially they were tied up for 30 days and didn't look very good. We were convinced that it was from transplant shock. Once we took the ropes off, and trimmed dead branches, the trees look just fine for about 2-3 weeks. We watered first month every day for about 20 min, sprinkler system. Second and third month the sprinklers have been running 3 days a week. I got some palm tree fertilizer (5 lbs. container) and sprinkled at the base of each tree about 2 weeks ago but the trees seem to get worse. I checked the soil and it is moist. I keep reading online that Washingtonians are desert trees and don't need much water. I'm thinking about turning the water off for a week and see the progress. Also, does it look like my trees are over fertilized?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jax_lexa

Some more pics

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 5:32PM
jax_lexa

more pics

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 5:34PM
stevea07(7 AL)

The leaves show the results of damaged roots. In your case it would be transplant shock. Your number one priority is getting your trees to grow a new root system. Only focus on the new leaves that are being produced. Blackened leaf tips that later turn to straw color are signs of too much fertilizer in moist soil. Sometimes burnt spots will appear throughout leaves indicating fertilizer burn in drier soils.

Check your soil. It should be slightly moist for ideal root growth, not wet. I recommend Superthrive to help produce secondary root growth quickly.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 9:41PM
jax_lexa

Thanks stevea07, how often do you recommend using Superthrive?

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 9:52PM
stevea07(7 AL)

I recommend drenching each tree with a mix of 5-10 gallons every two weeks until your soil temperature drops below 50F.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 10:15PM
jax_lexa

stevea07, Aside from drenching each tree every two weeks, should I turn off sprinkler system completely for the zone with the trees?

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 6:05PM
stevea07(7 AL)

I think that you should be OK to water by hand held hose or sprinkler once a week since we are now going into the cool season. If you have pure sand, nearly devoid of organic matter under full sun, you may have to water twice per week.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 12:37AM
More Discussions
This new format sucks!
I think I'm done posting here.
bradleyo_gw
Winter coming...
I would like to know if I should put these young Sago...
chez54
Anyone know a nursery where i can buy Windmill Palms?
Hey there guys i'd like to purchase some windmill palms...
MileHighGardener
Palm fronds turning yellow/brown
I have just moved into a (London, UK) house with some...
Oliver Beattie
2015 sudden jump(here)from winter to spring
Check out March 6th,that is the day I uncovered my...
jimhardy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™