Dark eggs on leaves and bark of Japanese Maple

Perrin390(9)December 14, 2013

I have a couple of dwarf japanese maples that I've been keeping indoors. Within a week, it looks like something laid a bunch of eggs on the bark and leaves. Then they hatched into a bunch of small bugs crawling on the tree :(

Anyone know what it is, where it came from, and what the best way to treat it is?

I ended up just taking the trees outside and water-blasting the critters off...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Rather than eggs, perhaps aphids. If so, and depending upon the size and location of the tree, easily washed off or squished. Repeat as needed.

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 3:49PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Would it be possible to focus on ONE of these insects? I can't really tell for certain what they are. They certainly seem to be aphid-like. Aphid eggs are dark, by the way. Jean's suggestion, by the way, is the recommended means of control.

For aphids to have been that busy on your maple, the adults would have to have been present prior to this infestation. Was the tree outside at some point? May I ask why you've been keeping these deciduous trees inside?

Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 8:29AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

two further thoughts ...

if rather new to you.. they came on the plant.. which would make the seller suspect ...

indoor plants.. can not be taken outside and immediately left in sun ... they will burn ... they would need to be hardened off to full sun ... plus a tree in a black pot in sun.. is often.. not good.. the pot/media can get too hot ...

ken

Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 9:25AM
Perrin390(9)

First time posting... Wow what a great forum!

Jean: Thanks! I'll try getting a better shot, but I think you are right about the aphids. Water blasting seems to have taken care of 90% of them. Will do that with manual inspection for the next couple of days.

Rhizo: The tree was outside but it was getting sun burned so we moved it to a shadier sun room. Probably will leave it out for the winter and find a permanent spot for it outside.

Ken: Thanks for the tips. I found a shady spot so hopefully it will be okay. You are also right about the pot being black. I'll look for a nice pot as well.

Bookmark   December 16, 2013 at 3:01AM
More Discussions
Question for the 'Regular' contributors
I've noticed a real slow down in this forum since the...
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
Weeding raised beds!
My husband was being treated for cancer last fall and...
jpc57
Sawdsust and Fresh Tree Wood Chips
My DH and DS built kitchen cabinets in our woodshop...
nancedar
Weird white stuff growing on my plants.
I've noticed weird stuff growing & spreading on...
Cheryl Tan
Home made seed tape
sorry - moved post to diff forum This post was edited...
oldgardenguy_zone6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™