Odd bugs? on leaves in a small greenhouse

MBaxter34(7a)December 14, 2012

Hi,
I'm not sure what this is and am hoping someone can help me out. I have a small (6'x2') lean-to style greenhouse. The leaves are a small pepper plant I am attempting to keep alive over winter. If anyone has an idea of what is doing this and how I can get it to stop, I would be very grateful!

Sorry it's not a great picture. The white seems to be almost like dust, but the plants have not been in there long enough to have that much dust on them.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtrop(10b)

Might be mites, but looks more like cicadas to me. I have pigeons peas and their leaves look like that and that's from little green cicadas ( I forgot the right name). Or it might be thrips, but those you should easily see as black 1-2 mm skinny insects, they hang around the leaves. Go on a insect hunt, only that way you can id what's going on in there.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 8:50PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

It does look like spider mite damage. The TINY bugs would be on the bottom of the leaves, with a lot of spider webbing. Try gently wiping the leaves with a q-tip or cotton ball damp with rubbing alcohol.

Is the soil staying too soggy? That could make the plant unhealthy overall, which would then make it more susceptible to pests in general.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 9:31AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Do the white specks, which you describe like a dust, wipe off or are they a part of the leaf tissue? If the latter, I'd suggest a very bad case of spider mites. They are so small that they are nearly invisible, but can be seen crawling around (usually on the back of the leaf) with the aid of a magnifying glass.

Other possibilities would be thrips or tiny leaf hoppers....which you would surely notice.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 3:11PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

part of this.. involves you taking a very old.. aged.. ANNUAL ... and trying to winter it over ...

a young vigorous plant .. can take a lot more abuse .. rather than grandpa ...

whatever the problem.. in a small lean-to greenhouse.. if it were mine.. this thing would be chucked over the neighbors fence.. and the rest of the clean plants would be treated ... if possible, on a food crop ..

this plant should have been prepped to bring indoors..

your pestilence.. has the potential to wipe out everything in your greenhouse.. how long are you going to fool around with it???

in other words.. IMHO.. your focus is the rest of the plants.. not this plant ....

ken

ps: this is where you tell us its the only known pepper of this type in the universe.. and you just cant live w/o it ...

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 7:44PM
MBaxter34(7a)

Thank you everyone! I think it is spider mites. I haven't been able to find them on all the leaves, but some of them seem to have tiny creatures on the underside. I appreciate all the helpful suggestions!

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
Miscoscopic silver insect
Hi, I need help for an identification. I found them...
MerlinMerlin
Aphid central.... At my wit's end...
Every single over-wintering pepper I have is inundated...
theripetomatofarm
Hibiscus plant has brown growths on stem
So, I believe this is a hibiscus plant, although it...
stilllucky0
yellow raised spots/bumps on tomatillo leaves
Hi guys, I've got some tomatillo plants that are developing...
kuvaszlvr
Rabbit catch and release
I've researched all options for removing the rabbit...
beryl469
Sponsored Products
Gama Sonic Path & Landscape Lights Barn Outdoor Brown Solar Wall Light with
$89.99 | Home Depot
Hydrofarm Germination Station with Heat Mat 72 Cell Pack - 17W - CK64050
$38.10 | Hayneedle
Emerson CF765 Loft 60 in. Indoor / Outdoor Ceiling Fan - CF765BQ
$249.00 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Karastan Rugs Fasney 2 ft. 1 in. x 7 ft. 10 in. Runner
Home Depot
General Hydroponics pH Control Kit - GH1514
$29.99 | Hayneedle