Rookie Grower: Jalapenos Dying :(

doups3June 3, 2011

Hey Everyone,

My wife finally talked me into helping with the garden this year. This is my first year gardening and the only thing I have a desire to grow is hot peppers. I filled up my half of the garden with Jalapenos, Habaneros, and Banana Peppers. :) Needles to say I've become a fanatic, checking on the buggers like 4 to 5 times a day.

I live in Utah and the weather conditions are not great, but I've read that you can grow peppers here. I bought the plants a month ago from the nursery. I took them out of their containers and planted them so they would have enough room. Now they are looking pretty sickly. They are brown/yellowish around the edges and starting to crinkle up. I've already had a few leaf casualties! None of them are over 6 inches tall. The tomatoes right next to them are growing like crazy which is making me really angry. I had heard that tomatoes and peppers should be treated fairly similarly (I have no idea though because this is my first year).

Any advice on what I might be doing wrong? Or what I could do differently?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Spongey600

post up a picture of them and it will help everyone to diagnose the issue they are having.

Eric

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 1:44PM
romy6(9)

Maters grow 10 times faster than peppers. They will smother your peppers if they are too close together. Did you start them in the shade or have they hardened off properly? Lots of questions. More info more better.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 4:21PM
thenewmidwestchilehead

I suspect they were not hardened properly. You have to slowly introduce peppers to the sunshine and wind. Maybe an hour the first day, two hours the second and so on. If you just stick them into the ground, they will sunburn and die. Not all nurseries harden their plants, so it is cheap insurance to do it yourself once you get them home.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 1:26AM
kosherbaker(LA CA-10)

Hmmmm. Usually plants sold by a nursery are hardened off, especially considering that they normally sit in the sun all day long at the nursery.
doups3 how often are you watering them?
How much water are they getting?
Are you fertilizing them?

Rudy

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 1:44AM
shoontok

I planted some pepper plants too close to tomatoes last year. The tomatoes definetly grow faster and more aggresively then peppers. And yes the tomato plants will block out the sun like Persian archers attacking the 300 Spartan defenders.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 2:09PM
esox07 (4b)

As far as the tomato/pepper issue goes, the above are quite right about how most Tomato plants grow much faster and bigger than Pepper plants and will crowd out peppers if planted too close. But, you are correct in that they are very similar plants in many ways. Generally they are similar in nutrient requirements, pollination process, sun requirements, water requirements and so forth.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
Pepper Plant Wilting at Night
Hi All, My plant has been growing lovely, but at night...
salevene
My first kinda hot
I believe this is a Mako Akokasrade. Its about 2.5...
peppers_galore
Show Your Seedlings
After all that work, gathering seeds, trying to germinate,...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
First orange hab pods forming
With the spring weather conditions outside setting in...
SoCarRob (Zone 7)
Poblano question
I live in central oklahoma. I garden in well amended...
scottcalv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™