Rabbit Manure and Hot Peppers....

skycladJune 1, 2011

I'm wondering what you guys think about Rabbit manure and it's nutritional value, and how this works with the nutritional needs of hot pepper plants. I've used RabbitPoo before with other garden plants and the results were incredible! Monster garden!! Just curious if any of you have used it to fertilize pepper plants and what the outcome was..

Thanks in advance for all responses!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sworegonjim(8)

Howdy,

I hope it works well with peppers. I put down hundreds of pounds of it in my garden late last fall. So far so good. Just be sure you don't use lime this year - any place you put down the rabbit manure. They will basically cancel one another out and foul up your pH.

Jim G

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 3:10PM
rockguy(7a)

"They will basically cancel one another out and foul up your pH."
what the heck does this mean?

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 7:17AM
sworegonjim(8)

Hey Rockguy,

When Lime and Manure make contact in the soil, their chemical compounds breakdown and the result is Amonia. It takes lime about three months to breakdown and become useful and even longer for manure - depending on its age. If you were to add lime while manure is present, you do bad things to the soil.

Some old timers suggest that lime and manure should not be added in the same year; the same twelve month period. But, if you spread lime in the fall, and well aged manure in say, February, you would probably be okay. Me, I will add lime one year and manure the next. Lime in late fall and manure in January or February. But -- I would have the soil tested first and not add the lime if it wasn't needed.

I am no expert. Just going on what I have read and heard.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 9:47AM
esox07

I put a good layer of rabbit dung on my garden last fall and I have three happy Bhuts in there now. I did not add any lime though.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 10:53AM
sworegonjim(8)

esox07,

Good for you. I put a %$#@ load of horse and rabbit manure on my garden in January. I have tilled it in three times since then. I just hope the rain hasn't washed away all the benefits I was hoping to acquire from the expense and labor.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
Sprouting leaves on peppers drying
My new leaves are going dark and drying off in most...
tomyres
I made a boo boo...threw out the sinkers!!
I just had to vent somewhere I knew understands my...
beverly_
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
Deleting threads now....
Sad when there's a heated argument going and admins...
woohooman
Fish pepper info?
Once more turning to my hot pepper elders... I used...
uncleflip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™