Thinking of a "barrel garden"

nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)January 19, 2013

While wine tasting last week, we came across a small winery who's owner said he had to PAY someone to take his older barrels away! They are only good for about 6 years.
My breathing got quick and shallow, eyes dilated and a bit of shaking was going on as I asked him when I can call him about picking up any and ALL barrels he wants to get rid of!!!!!
We had planned on expanding our garden, but we have to have raised beds due to gopher infestation. This sounds like the perfect solution!
I'm also thinking of a wine barrel fountain, maybe a wine barrel bar, chairs.....anything else you can think of?
BTW I live in "wine country" Sonoma Co, CA!
WooHoo! Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nathan1991

i saw the most amazing adirondack chairs made from wine barrel 'pieces'. just thought i would give you another idea for your wine garden!!
good luck

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 11:03PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

I just looked those up! Great idea! AND my husband is an out of work furniture maker! HA!!!! Nancy

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 9:02PM
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

At one point, I had considered setting up half barrels in a fashion conducive to the kids to use for running around, etc. The kids are got older before I had time to place them.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 4:32PM
gardeningwithlcgrace(7 Delaware)

A friend of mine purchased bar height chairs and put a table top on the top of a wine barrel for an outside table & chairs on the deck! What a fabulous find!!!

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 3:06PM

WooHoo! So many ideas! Nancy

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 8:36PM
peachymomo(Ca 8)

Wine barrels make great containers, there are a few tricks for increasing your chances of success. First of all, you need to drill holes for drainage. Secondly, the wood will eventually soften and gophers will get in unless you put gopher wire on the bottom. Ideally, cut the entire bottom out and replace it with wire instead, giving great drainage and keeping the little monsters out. Lastly, irrigation! Our summers are hot and even though it seems big a wine barrel planter can dry out in a day. I have some that do best with morning and evening water in the hottest days of summer. I'm in Sonoma County too by the way, so I probably have similar growing conditions.

One more thing, if you have a handy person to help, I tried stacking half barrels to make a 'wine barrel strawberry tower' and it worked pretty well. It would look nicer as a decorative thing with flowers, and the raised aspect didn't keep pests away as well as I had hoped so it wasn't a home run with the strawberries. But it looks pretty darn cool. Ours is leaning worse than the Tower of Pisa though and I think it's going to have to be dismantled and changed, we have it on a slope and the gophers may have undermined it in their attempts to get in...

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 11:42AM

Peachy, thanks for the info! I have recently found that I'm also getting some waist hight planters (very well built) from the neighbors who are moving to Hawaii!
It seems that I'm going to have a very large container garden next year! Nancy
P.S. Where in So Co?

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 9:20PM
peachymomo(Ca 8)

I'm just outside of Santa Rosa, to the northwest. To be honest I do more than half of my gardening at my Mother's house, also just outside of Santa Rosa, because she has twice the space and way more sun. My property is surrounded by tall trees so it isn't well suited to growing many fruits, veggies, or sun loving flowers.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
New garden design!
It looks like we'll be moving, so I'm looking forward...
lavender_lass
New potager er
I'm laying the final pathways on my potager garden.......
lorabell NC
creation of a vegetable garden
Hello everybody ! I would like to receive advice for...
CharlotteANTOINE
Rethinking a Peter Rabbit Garden...X-post
So, I've finally got all the plants on the porch into...
lavender_lass
Material for pathways?
Hi! I have a new home and am working on my first pottager...
photogirl11
Sponsored Products
Crystal Flower Soft Green and Pink Five-Light Chandelier with Bulb Covers
$423.00 | Bellacor
Hinkley 40 Degree Bronze 5 Watt LED Landscape Spotlight
Lamps Plus
Thalia Polished Copper Garden Torch with Yard Stake
Signature Hardware
Coolaroo Replacement Dog Bed Cover - Grey - 434816
$13.99 | Hayneedle
nuLOOM Indoor/ Outdoor Trellis Porch Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Bond Manufacturing Ravena Envirostone Fountain
Overstock.com
Couristan 1016-3000 Recife Garden Lattice Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug - Cocoa/Natura
$99.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Paradise Courtyard White Ceramic Garden Stool
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™