Too Many Peppers?

ehsteveJune 13, 2012

This is my first time growing peppers so I have no idea what to expect but I'm worried I have room any peppers on my plants.

I'm growing banana peppers in 7 gallon containers. The plants are about 18" tall and currently have around 30 peppers per plant and are still putting out more flowers. The peppers range from newly sprouted ones to peppers about 5" long, which are still green.

Is this normal? Can a plant support this many peppers? Will it delay ripening?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsheets(5)

Sounds like they are doing great! If the plant can't handle it, or isn't happy, they will most likely drop the buds. Otherwise, let them do their thing.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 3:18PM
esox07

Yah, if it can't support any more it will drop new blooms. Sounds like you have things going great. Give them a little time.
Bruce

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 6:34PM
ehsteve

Picture of the Peppers.

I came home today though to find the plant tipping over after watering softened the ground, so have had to add stakes since :S

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 9:42PM
Edymnion(7a)

Yeah, peppers are generally pretty good about not setting more fruit than they can support (heh, nutritionally, weight wise as you've found can be a different story). My sweet bananas are similarly laden as yours, and when I look carefully I can find aborted peppers laying on the ground (the stems fell off like blossom drop, but there is clearly no flower and the bud of a pepper in its place).

So, the plant knows what its doing. If it oversets it will simply abort the extras and keep going with what its got.

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 8:55AM
Edymnion(7a)

On a side note, I put my peppers in those round wire cages various places sell as tomato cages.

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 8:56AM
DMForcier(8 DFW)

Can't have too many peppers. Send the extras to me.

No CODs, please.

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 9:48PM
capoman(5a)

Sounds like they are doing great. Bananas are one of the most prolific pepper plants, and it's sometimes hard to fathom how a plant can have such a high fruit to leaf ratio and still be healthy. Hungarian hot wax are similar and are almost as prolific. Nothing to worry about... enjoy!

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 4:46PM
esox07

Well, I sure wish my Bananas would get going. In reality though, all my plants are just starting to fruit. I got a bunch (two full crops) off my Hot Hungarian Wax plants.

Bruce

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 6:01PM
esox07

The Hot Hungarian Wax plants were last year. I decided on Banana's this year.
Bruce

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 6:05PM
Edymnion(7a)

I wish my bananas would hurry up and finish turning. The waiting is the worst part. Got at least a half dozen out there as long as my hand and 2/3s as thick as my wrist that have been sitting on yellow for freaking ages.

Calm, zen serenity and patience is great, but I want my peppers, dagnabit!

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 11:32AM
esox07

Those sound like some big peppers Edymnion. I hope mine wind up that big. But I am hoping for quantity also. It sounds like you will get another full crop out of your plants this year. I am looking at just one.
Bruce

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 12:39PM
Edymnion(7a)

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 1:18PM
esox07

Nice. It looks like the plant really needs that tomato cage too.
Bruce

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 3:07PM
Edymnion(7a)

Oh yeah, it does. Its tall and spindly, with three main branches that shoot up out the top of it. Going to be one I cut back into a bonchi.

I'm thinking I'll cut each of the three stems at a different height and try my hand and turning it into one of those cloud bonsais, where you've got a little cloud of leaves at three different heights.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 3:29PM
habjolokia

Edymnion you are a Bonchi Master with peppers, can't wait to see pics of the clouds.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 8:05PM
esox07

Edymnion:
It looks like that plant had been cut back before. Was it an overwinter plant?
Bruce

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 10:28AM
capoman(5a)

Interesting Bruce. I have both Bananas and Hungarians going, and if they weren't labelled, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart, as the plants look the same, and the fruit is almost identical, and they are both the same size with fruit the same size. The fruit are about 6 or so inches long and just starting to turn color. I'm growing from a new batch of seed this year, so I hope they ARE actually different.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 12:33PM
esox07

Capoman: Look for pods pointing upwards when they first start out and until they are nearly full size. That is characteristic of Hot Hungarian Wax peppers. The Bananas will normally grow pointing downward right from the start.

Here is a photo of one of my Hungarians from last year.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 4:41PM
capoman(5a)

Good point Bruce. I had totally forgotten about that. The early pods on the Hungarians pointed up before dropping down. I guess I do have the right seed. It is funny how similar they become with age, but you are definitely right in that was the one difference that was obvious between the two.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 8:17AM
Edymnion(7a)

Edymnion:
It looks like that plant had been cut back before. Was it an overwinter plant?
Bruce

Minor correction, the trident one is my uba tuba, the banana pepper is a single straight stem.

And no, the only cutting I've done on the trident uba tuba is that I removed the lower leaves once it got tall to expose the stem to some direct sun to hasten lignification (I don't know if it actually helps or not, but it can't hurt).

Otherwise, these I don't cut until the very end. I just go with whatever shape they naturally take.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 4:46PM
More Discussions
New to H. Peppers and a few questions
Hi all I am going to try my hand at hot peppers this...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
will my pepper seeds sprout?
I am planning to start to grow some pepper plants and...
mariorossi3c
Cooking With Fresh Peppers
When we talk about chili/ hot peppers, hot red peppers...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Where do you find seeds for different hot peppers?
Is there a special place to order seeds for some of...
goldilocs
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™