Flamethrower Palms

Hazey_MattNovember 19, 2012

Hey, im in the process of redoing our landscaping and i just wanted to know if a Flamethrower Palm can Grown in a large pot? i know they are kind of slow growing but im not sure if they can grow in pots. Also an unrelated question How often do Palms grow Seed Pods?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lzrddr(91360)

most palm species can be grown in pots, for at least a good portion of their younger lives (some indefinitely). Palms make seeds if 1) they are old enough to, 2) they are either monoecious, or dieocious females and have been fertilized and 3) in the right climate, light and healthy enough for that to happen. Some palms produce a fertile inflorescences nearly every month (like some King Palms) and some once in their lives (monocarpic species).

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 2:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
What is the purpose of pot growing?? Mobility, dwarfing or true "Bonsai"? Was always told that palms can't be "bonsai" but they certainly can be dwarfed. though I suspect no less than 50 percent of mature growth. i've tried queens ,bottles several types of areca. They tend to not do well under usual "bonsai "techniques but you certainly can slow the growth process by at least two thirds. have never tried chamberonia but would be an interesting one to attempt. Some palms actually do better in pots IME. gary

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 6:07AM
More Discussions
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
dead?
I have a Pygmy date palm and I think I killed it. Is...
dollyday3
Bright indirect light???
Hi! I just bought a couple plants (Areca palm, sago...
Nikki321
Coconut Palm
Hi all. I am brand new to this forum and i'm just looking...
johnob
Sterling, VA trachy???
Anyone seen or have updates on that big Sterling, Virginia...
islandbreeze
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™