Mystery Pepper Update

Phildeez(9b)June 22, 2011

Well, the largest one has some size on it. Most of the flowers after have dropped in the heat but this one is starting to look like a cayenne. The purple stems still throw me off, I wonder what causes that.

Thoughts?

Ty!

-Phil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Spongey600

i am quite jealous! thats my thought! :) nice looking pepper!

Eric

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 7:37PM
Hydropepergrow(5)

i have cayenne pepers too and my stems r purple too but theyr not yellow their bright green

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 1:19AM
Phildeez(9b)

I think purple stems can vary within the same variant. A lot of my peppers in the ground near this one have purple stems.

You are right about the yellow pod, I hadn't really noticed that.

I am leaning towards a Kelantan chili. It is too wide at the top to be cayenne I think after looking at more pics.
http://www.google.com/m/search?site=images&gl=us&source=mog&aq=f&oq=&aqi=-k0d0t0&fkt=58&fsdt=6248&cqt=&rst=&htf=&his=&maction=&q=kelantan+pepper#i=1

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 3:38AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

No idea, but I'm following with interest.
The purple stems are very nice. A few of my plants have purple stems (striped),
others just have purple "knuckles" at the nodes and branch connections.

Josh

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 12:20PM
Phildeez(9b)

Josh, I believe all of my plants in the ground have purple joints and others are almost entirely purple like the mystery Thai. I will take a look when I get home later. I am really wondering whether it is genetic or environmental.

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 2:34PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Probably both ;-)
The sun tends to enhance the purple coloration.

Josh

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 3:31PM
chile_freak

the purple is caused by an antioxidant flavanoid called Anthocyanin, common in all members of the family solanacae, or nightshade. Anthocyanin, is used by the peppers to attract pollenators, and also act as a sort of sunscreen, the purple will be more prevelent in plants that get 8 or more hours of direct sunlight per day. you will notice the flavor of the purple stemmed plants, will be slightly more astringent, or acidic than the same variety w/ less anthocyanin. hope this is helpful

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 11:43PM
kenoe(8)

I have a mystery pepper as well, I love the fruity flavor and intense heat of this one but I cannot figure out what kind of pepper this is. My dad gave them to me, said they were a scotch bonnet and I've tried every type of scotch bonnet available and they taste and even smell different. If someone could help a new grower out I'd appreciate it. I want tons more of these If I can figure out what these are.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 11:20AM
romy6(9)

Looks like a red hab too me.

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 11:34AM
kenoe(8)

I talked to someone today who tried the pepper, he said it looked and taste like a safi red. But I have never heard of that. He loved the pepper and asked if I had more. Lol I would just like to find out what it is. Does anyone here have any expierence with the safi? My plant looks really strange it has huge leaves on the bottom and little leaves at the top. The bottom leaves are bigger than my hand. Thanks for the info romy but I don't think that these are red habs. I could be wrong but I don't think they are.

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 3:52PM
smokemaster_2007

check out data base below.
Safi Red and Safi

Here is a link that might be useful: Data base

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 5:53PM
kenoe(8)

Hey smokemaster thanks for the post, those look almost identical to what I have. Are these common types of peppers? My dad just told me again that they are a scotch bonnet. I saw a link where the safi was called a scotch bonnet as well. They originated somewhere in the carribean. He is 100 % sure he got them from a friend who lives in Jamaica.

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 7:14PM
smokemaster_2007

It's a Moroccan Scotch Bonnet.

Maybe start another post so others can add more info.

It seems there is a Safi (habanero),Safi Red (Scotch Bonnet)and a Safi Annuum as far as I see from different seeds in my collection...At least by the labels and what I've grown.

Bookmark   November 15, 2011 at 9:39PM
kenoe(8)

How rare are those? Lol this is going to be a difficult task. Lol I'll definately look into the Moroccans. Once again thanks.

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 8:42AM
More Discussions
Northeast folks - when are you starting seeds?
Boston - planning on 3/1 (next Sunday!)
peps_22
Help for GardenWeb Users
https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/sections/200556848-Help-for-GardenWeb-Users...
ronnyb123
Cooking With Fresh Peppers
When we talk about chili/ hot peppers, hot red peppers...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Pepper plant wilting
Not sure what's going on here. This plant nearly died...
uncle_flip
My Carolina Reapers and Naga Viper need help!
As you can see from the pictures above each of the...
krystalpepper
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™