Yellow Cone Flower Seeds Too Old??

maryt_gardenerJanuary 23, 2009

Hi, I'm looking for an educated opinion. I collected some yellow coneflower seeds when I was in Galveston TX for Christmas 2006. I haven't planted them yet and want to try some and trade the rest--but I'm not sure they are still viable. At the time I collected them some of the coneflowers were still blooming in the yard, others had gone to seed. They appear to be fine-but are now just over 2 years old. I don't know what cultivar they are, they had somewhat longish brown cones and thin petals and were yellow. I think my brother-in-law who owned the land perhaps sowed them as part of a wild appearing butterfly type garden area. This part of the yard was naturalized. I'm guessing they were from a plant that might be native in TX originally. Anyone have an idea if the seeds may still be viable a bit more than 2 years later? They were kept dry, in the dark at about room temp mainly.

Thanks for any tips/knowledge anyone can provide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I would say that the seeds are fine if they have been kept in a good place. Seeds in these arid areas have to sometimes live in the dirt for years before they get the rain at the right temperature to germinate. I can;t hurt to try. If you want more of the red and yellow ratbida. I have a field full.

Bookmark   January 27, 2009 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
sudangrass and canada thistle
Has anyone here used sudangrass to try and suppress...
adidas
Walnut / Black Walnut Trees
I am considering purchasing a 5-acre property with...
Blake
Bluestem, bluestem & bluestem
I ran across yet another new Scizachyrium scoparium...
texasranger2
Gray-headed Coneflower misgivings
Hi, does anyone have experience with growing Gray-headed...
Wildflowergma
Globe Thistle Bare Root. Which end is up??? Help!
Forgive me if this is not the correct forum for this...
newbud_2010
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™