Thinking of a new herb garden!

nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)February 16, 2013

My old one has been over run by weeds!
Most of my herbs are in large containers. I'm thinking of painting several cement pavers, leaving a few blank for the creeping thyme to do it's thing!
We're talking about a 4x12' area, with many 3x6 vege gardens nearby!
Thoughts? Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Herbs are gorgeous. I love the idea of you using pavers, it makes it so much easier to step into that 4" space to harvest herbs. Creeping thyme is wonderful, I have it in all sorts of places. Perhaps if you find some herbs get a little "run over" by the thyme you could plant them in pots amongst the herb garden to add height and dimension? I'm thinking for eg. of chives here. Your climate is different than mine, but my chives growing in hot, full sun are a bit more delicate than the ones my Mom grows near Toronto. Eventually mine "peter out" unless they have some TLC for competition. Your herb garden is of a very nice size, perhaps you can throw in some edible flowers like calendula, edible chrysanthemum, dianthus or some pretty dwarf nasturtiums to help it fill in during it's first year. They are all so tasty too!

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 3:04PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

All of the herbs except the creeping Thyme are in large pots I do have nasturtiums up the wazoo! Also morning Glories have found their way in there.Probably not edible, but pretty!
I have some chrysanthemum also.
Actually, you made me think of the "edible plant" list that I got from a master gardener at the fair last year! Thanks!
I think having a "paved" area will make things much tidier! I just let that area get out of control this winter! I can't keep up with the weeds! Nancy

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 8:33PM
ali-b

You're in zone 8 and can keep rosemary in the ground. So jealous! A border of lady lavender would be lovely. It blooms the first year from seed and isn't as finicky as other lavenders to start. Don't forget some sweet roses.

I am also planning on moving my herb bed and have been day dreaming over beautiful knot gardens lately.

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 9:32AM
t-bird(Chicago 5/6)

with a designated 4x12 area, how about a snaking flagstone path down the long way?

Where the pathway is more on the one side, plant a larger perrenial such as lovage near the far border?

Now that I'm imaging this, I may just lift the idea for an herb garden of my own!

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:07AM

I did finally get it pretty much weeded, and now the nasturtiums have taken over! That's OK, though! I just have to rip them out when they get too aggressive and toss them over the fence for the neighbor's goat to eat, or toss them where I want them to grow next year. Nancy

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 9:04PM

t-bird, thanks. lovage was something I wanted to add. It's the one with the cuke-like taste, right?
I didn't know it was a perrenial! I drowned the one I planted this year!(No drainage!) LOL
I need to do some nasturtium pulling this week! It's taking over! Luckily it pulls easily! I might start collecting the seeds to sell.
Nancy

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 2:07AM
t-bird(Chicago 5/6)

They can get to about 5' Nancy. Plant strategically!

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 8:16AM

Will do! Nancy

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 9:37PM
lavender_lass(4b)

T-bird, I like your idea for the path! Sounds perfect for an herb garden :)

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 1:22AM
t-bird(Chicago 5/6)

oh nancy - just noticed in your post about the cuke taste - no that is salad burnet - another perrenial.

Lovage is in line with celery leaves/parsley - good for soup.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
flat feet exercises
I genuinely enjoy looking through on this internet...
Happy12
New garden design!
It looks like we'll be moving, so I'm looking forward...
lavender_lass
New Potager Garden
I know nothing about what a "potager" garden...
charlieboring
CA freeze
We had about a week of teens and low 20* here in mild...
nancyjane_gardener
Would this be considered a Potager?
Hello! I'm new to gardening (this year) and someone...
LuvMyRazz
Sponsored Products
9" Stainless Steel Bucket Planter
Signature Hardware
Yorkshire Left-facing Armchair
Grandin Road
Campania International Wall Outdoor Fountain - YF1108C1-30H-L489
$109.98 | Hayneedle
Natural 4' Cedar Garden Bridge
$104.99 | zulily
Garden Essentials Wall Hooks - Set of 3
$22.99 | Dot & Bo