Am I off base with this 'natural' plan?

lbelle(z5IL)January 27, 2007

Recently moved onto a 5 acre lot that is a majority old pasture and a filled in valley(?) . My backyard looks like it is all grass( clay and rocky soil) and I'd like to establish some more tall interest. I am limited by my neighbors property (they mow). I'd like to mow my grass, leaving two large swathes of pasture/grass growing off the treelines located along the sides of my property. I'm hoping native red cedar and redbuds will begin to grow (I've seen seedlings in the grass.) Will this work? Can I add other wildflowers to the soil? I've picked some red cedar berries...can I plant those in those areas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladyslppr(z6 PA)

No, you're not off base. Here are a few thoughts on the plan...

First, both Red Cedar and Eastern Redbud are pretty good at volunteering and if you see seedlings I think you should have little trouble encouraging them to grow. I might try trimming the grass around the seedlings enough to allow the seedlings to get plenty of sunlight. I bet you'll eventually have too many of both and will want to remove some.

Second, lawn grasses were probably planted all over your lot. These grasses don't really make nice wildflower meadows or prairies, so you might think about replacing them with some native grasses and wildflowers. You can find lots of advice on removing a lawn and planting a prairie or meadow, but in general you'll want to eliminate the existing grass first, then add the replacements. I would try a small, manageable area first and see how it goes. Native grasses can take a few years to become established so be patient.

Third, adding wildflowers to a lawn, even an unmown lawn, is not always an easy way to get the wildlfowers established. You should probably remove or kill the grass is an area then add the wildflowers. Otherwise the lawn grass will be too tough a competitor and will severely hamper the growth of wildflowers.

I think your plan is great. Good Luck!

Bookmark   January 29, 2007 at 1:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joepyeweed(5b IL)

where are you in Illinois?

Bookmark   February 1, 2007 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
My California Wildflower meadow
In mid winter I cut out some grass near my front yard...
nickrosesn
establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
These are seedlings that I started in a caliche wash...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Bluestem, bluestem & bluestem
I ran across yet another new Scizachyrium scoparium...
texasranger2
establishing a prairie garden - QUACKgrass
I've started converting my lawn to a prairie with the...
mill1154
Globe Thistle Bare Root. Which end is up??? Help!
Forgive me if this is not the correct forum for this...
newbud_2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™