Trumpet Vine baby help

penny1947(z6 WNY)February 11, 2004

I took a tiny soft woood cutting from a trumpet vine last spring. After keeping it in water for a while until it started to put out tiny roots, I planted it in a pot. It was doing very well until recently. It has developed a nice root system but now all the new growth is drying up and falling off. It has yet to be transplanted outdoors as it was still too young to plant at the end of the summer and on the advice of a garden center employee I was keeping it inside until our weather here in western NY warmed up. I really hate to lose this plant now since I have babied it all spring, summer, fall and winter. It is only about 6 inches tall and it is in an east facing window.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vbain

Is it too wet or too dry? If neither, you may need to look at the roots. Sometimes when you root in water, the new roots are "water roots" and don't like soil.

Bookmark   February 12, 2004 at 7:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penny1947(z6 WNY)

VBain,
THank you for your response. THe soil may have gotten a bit dry. I don't think the the roots were the problem though because it was doing quite well until just recently. Possibly too dry inside which was causing it to dry out too much. I did give it a real good soaking and moved it to a southern exposure. Hopefully I can keep it going until it warms up enough here to get it transplanted outside.
Penny

Bookmark   February 13, 2004 at 7:10AM
More Discussions
pokeweed- blessing or bane?
A friend gave me seeds from her pokeweed. It is a beautiful...
earthyone
establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
These are seedlings that I started in a caliche wash...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
sudangrass and canada thistle
Has anyone here used sudangrass to try and suppress...
adidas
Bluestem, bluestem & bluestem
I ran across yet another new Scizachyrium scoparium...
texasranger2
establishing a prairie garden - strawberries
I'm converting my lawn to prairie plants and used a...
mill1154
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™