have you built your potager in part sun?

tammyinwv(z6/WV)March 31, 2010

I want to put it in the middle of the back yard to get full sun (would prefer otherwise tho).My husband wants it along thr edge of the yard but here the sun shines down at a 45-50 degree angel since we sit on the hill. ANd comes from behind the planned place which us shaded by trees. At most it would get sun at odd angles from about 2 pm on.

Here is a link to the photo in the tomato forum. After thinking about it, I thought since I was putting in a potager, this might be the more appropriate forum. I just dont know if the potager located where the trampoline is will look out of place fenced in.

Tammy

Here is a link that might be useful: My backyard

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aubade

I accidentally build part of my potager in part-shade last year, since in the spring it looked like full sun but as the summer progressed one of the beds got shaded by the neighbor's house.

The plants in that bed didn't grow nearly as well as my full sun beds. Cucumbers barely grew at all. The spring planted carrots and turnips did ok, and mustard greens and arugula in the fall. But I also planted lettuce in the fall and that barely grew at all either.

I only have a very small space so I'm really bummed I can't grow much in that spot.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Rethinking a Peter Rabbit Garden...X-post
So, I've finally got all the plants on the porch into...
lavender_lass
Snowy Potager
The potager looks lovely with a layer of snow on it. The...
wyndyacre
New Potager Garden
I know nothing about what a "potager" garden...
charlieboring
I don't understand?????
Why this forum has gone to the dogs! I'm not able to...
nancyjane_gardener
Material for pathways?
Hi! I have a new home and am working on my first pottager...
photogirl11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™