Urgent help!!!

Hunter_M(Kentucky Z.6)November 6, 2011

I just got back from Kentucky to find these little centipede things crawling all over the soil of my majesty palm! I had these things last year and I just changed out the soil and it was fine. I think these are harmful but I need to be sure.

I would post tommorrow because of how late it is but I really need to know what these things are.

I tried to get good pics of them.

Thanks!

-Hunter

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicalzone7(7b)

Im not sure what kind of bug that is (I guess they dont live around here since I dont think I've ever seen them), but bugs are definitely something you will find in the soil of your plants and its usually not too much of a problem. I've never had a bug on my potted plants that have eaten the roots of my plants (I had problems with sap sucking bugs like aphids and white flies which are visible from above the soil).

Hopefully someone has an ID for you. If it is a bad bug, then maybe Neem Oil can help. The stuff smells terrible, but its orgainic and non-toxic. It wont kill good bugs like Lady Bugs, but it will kill many pests like Aphids or whiteflies). You can water it into the soil and it wont harm the plant (the plant absorbs it and it basically makes the plant "taste bad" so sap sucking insects wont want to eat it). If you do add neem oil, make sure the plant is not in direct sunlight for at least 24 hours after applying and make sure that you do it outside so your entire house doesnt smell like it!

Good luck!
-Alex

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 12:11AM
cmventura

Nothing to be worried about. I have some of those here in coastal L.A. They don't hurt our plants, so chill. :)

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 10:49AM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hi Hunter,

We have them here in Va Beach too!

Sometimes it seems llike they even come up from the vents. I think they are looking for moisture if they are on the move, so it may be good because that means your trees are finally drying out!! Which is a good thing!! That would tell me that the little critters are searching for another source of water. I sometimes find them curled up after looking for more moisture...then they finally croak!!! LOL!!!

They come around at times...so no worries!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Take care,

Laura in VB

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 2:14PM
cmanning55555

I dont know what that is, but i would go to the Home Depot and buy that Insecticidal soap. I think it might get ride of them.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 9:55PM
larrm(6b)

I have seen these in a couple of my 7-8 inch canary island date palm seedlings, these palms were started from seed and transplanted in susposedly sterilized soil. Would it be ok to use a herbal insecticide soap on the soil?

Larry

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
Vertically vs horizontally sprouted coconuts
Hello everybody! I saw some vertically sprouted coconuts...
coconutman
Mexican Fan Palm - Getting a wee to close to the pool.
We are recent transplants to the southwest so not much...
ranquet91
Windmill Palm Fronds Shriveling!
For about a year now I've had this Windmill Palm planted...
windmillfan
Sterling, VA trachy???
Anyone seen or have updates on that big Sterling, Virginia...
islandbreeze
Sickly windmill palm
We have a 6ft windmill palm that is about 6-7 years...
Diane2115
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™