Help Identify Spider Sac!!

mdensfordFebruary 4, 2009

Hello, Gardeners! I found about five spider sacs attached in my nandina. OK, it looks like tiny balls (5-6) in a tiny sock. The "socks" are about 3/4 in. long. Do you have any idea what insect or spider it belongs to? It looks like it might have been attached to some kind of web, but ofcourse now the web is all torn up. The sac is still attached to really strong lines, one at the top and bottom which are attached to leaves or stems, barely.

Thanks,

Margie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seamommy(7bTX)

Judging by the size of the sacs, they were probably the large black/white/yellow garden spiders. But they should all have hatched by now and the babies flown away. You should see some of them in your yard and a few even should be lodging in your nandina. They are the ones who weave a large web nightly and have the zig-zag pattern in the center where they sit. The female will get very large, the males will remain small and after mating with the female will disappear, because she kills him. These are good spiders, but can still give you a painful bite so exercise care. Cheryl

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
Trumpet vine??
Me again! Can anyone tell me the best way to take a...
Kim.MI - 5
Sowing prairie seed into snow
I am interested if anybody has experience with prairie...
oakridge2
establishing Liatris punctata in caliche washes
These are seedlings that I started in a caliche wash...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
pokeweed- blessing or bane?
A friend gave me seeds from her pokeweed. It is a beautiful...
earthyone
Central Texas Grassland restoration Blog
This Blog Is really pretty good and interesting. Jill...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™