attractive bean support

timothina(7a)March 14, 2014

Hello. I am planning my garden and I would like to have some sort of attractive vertical element, preferably metal, to grow my beans on. I was thinking an obelisk, but most of them seem too short. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
riverfarm(7)

It depends on the variety of bean you grow, but in any case you wouldn't want the height of the support to be more than you could comfortably reach to pick the beans. I put up fencing and posts each year for my pole beans and I usually put the top bar at about 5 1/2 feet. Beans will come back down the other side after they've reached the maximum height the support will allow, anyway. And if you don't need a lot of beans that should work well.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 10:19AM
lavender_lass(4b)

My mom and I are planning to consolidate our resources into one, larger garden. This means we have many arches to use...and plan to set them up in an allee style...so you can walk under them on a couple of side paths, branching off the main path through the garden. We plan to plant the climbing beans on these, along with flowering vines, closer to the seating area. Maybe this would work for you?

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 1:07PM
riverfarm(7)

That sounds really pretty; I wish I had some arches to use! The attractive ones in catalogues are way too expensive for the number we'd need to supply us with beans all winter!

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 1:32PM
mandolls(4)

Do you know about making arches from cattle panel fencing? I admit they are not that good looking when they are empty, but they are cheap and easy. They are 16 ' x 50", at about 20.00 a piece. I just pound re-bar into the ground and wire the fence panel to the rebar.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 6:53PM
shuffles_gw

mandolis, I like that path leading into your garden,

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 7:34PM
riverfarm(7)

Mandolis, I've never seen cattle panels used more attractively! What a great garden!

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 9:37PM
mandolls(4)

Thanks! You can't see it in in the pic. I have 6 cattle panel arches on the borders of my kitchen garden, one at each end as "entrances", and two on each side. I mostly use them for beans and cucumbers, though I have seen people trellice tomatoes to them. My garden isn't fenced, so the arches add structure and definition to the space.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 8:27AM
lavender_lass(4b)

Very pretty! That's a great idea, especially for the entrances :)

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 2:14PM
timothina(7a)

Mandolis--your garden is so beautiful! I am going to have to look into cattle panels.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 11:54AM
riverfarm(7)

Inspired by this thread I just got a couple of folding bean fences from Gardeners Supply. I imagine I'll have to use metal stakes at either end of each one, and possibly in the middle, to secure them, but they will be easier to put up every year and they'll save me having to wrap twine around the top and bottom crosspieces the way I do when I make a structure from bamboo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bean Fencing

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 12:15PM
nBoer(6a)

I cant agree more with Cattle Panel and Arches, although I wish I could find a $20 source near me and currently looking for more. I bent one into a Gothic arch.

I love that the beans or whatever hang down away from the leaves for easy harvesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 9:21AM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

I'm switching out my bamboo this year (got a bunch from freecycle!), but rather than do the typical bean poles like a teepee, i'm going to do an upside down teepee.
I don't know how to describe it. The lower part of an X being the lower end and the upper the larger end. Thus, the beans draping down where you can actually pick them!
I'm not quite sure how we're going to make this stable! I'll leave this up to my hubby! LOL
If it works, and I somehow learn how to post pics, I will! Nancy

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 9:20PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

This has worked SOOOO well! I don't have to go inside the teepee and deal with spiders, don't have to climb ladders to get to the beans, can look out the slider that goes out to the garden and SEE if I have to pick that day.....and it's pretty!
I did have one bamboo pole come down (too close of a tie off), but an easy fix!
As usual, if I can figure out how to post pics, you'll be the first to see them! Nancy

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 2:39AM
riverfarm(7)

How nice that that worked, nancyjane! I'd love to see a picture!

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 6:41AM
PJrocks

This is the entrance to my potager.

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
CA freeze
We had about a week of teens and low 20* here in mild...
nancyjane_gardener
I don't understand?????
Why this forum has gone to the dogs! I'm not able to...
nancyjane_gardener
flat feet exercises
I genuinely enjoy looking through on this internet...
Happy12
Potato boxes
Not sure if this is the best site ... But ... If not...
Crawfordjohn66
What do you do in your fall/winter garden?
I'm in N california, just north of San Francisco in...
nancyjane_gardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™