when they get big

irun5kJuly 11, 2011

This is a shot I thought some of you might enjoy- a large pink growing in my neighbor's back yard. It is clearing the second story of their house. No, this is not Hawaii.... this is a zone 9b! This beast shows me why the serious collectors are always shuffling inventory in and out!

I actually have a genetically similar tree growing in my yard. I planted it as a landscape specimen and the space can accommodate it (eventually it will cover my entire deck and first story of my house.) I assume that both are at least relatives of the Miami Rose.

I am having second thoughts on mine though. The tree is a profuse grower, and many times only branches in two directions. As a result the tree becomes very sparse. I have seen potted plumeria with more inflos than the mammoth below. On the upshot, the inflos are also mammoth and put out for 2-3 months. Still, there would be little comparison between the structure of a compact rubra or a singapore obtusa and this type of tree @ 15 feet in height.

Well, I can blame all this on being a beginner. At least mine isn't anywhere near as large as the one below (yet!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hello Everyone....

Irun5k,

What a beautiful tree!!! That is the largest Plumeria that i have seen here on the East Coast!!!

If i could only grow them here in the ground....

Quite Beautiful....thanks for sharing!!!

Take care....

Laura in VB

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 8:46PM
labland(Inland Valley CA9)

That is one fantastic tree! Once again, I think humidity has to help!

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 10:38PM
sunseeker53(10a CA USA)

Wow it's a nice tree! Even without a lot of flowers, the leaves are very lush and the look is so tropical!

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 1:09AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

My Miami Rose is a monster. I think it grows at least 2 to 3 feet before blooming. Can't maintain it here in a pot for very long.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 8:50PM
irun5k

Hi Dave & everyone,

Monster is a good way to put it. I suspect it is a hardy cultivar as well. Even in a microclimate inside a 9B, sometimes we have a frost but my neighbor's doesn't seem to mind and mine hasn't been affected either.

If a tip goes one or more years w/o blooming you're definitely looking at some really long branches. I've tried to decide whether I should force branching on mine by cutting it back but it seems like eventually the tree will win no matter what!

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 10:12PM
tropicalzone7(7b)

Beautiful tree! I cant believe thats in a zone 9b! It really does look like something you would see in Hawaii!

I wouldnt worry about your plumeria and I wouldnt prune it back until it becomes a problem. I think its good to prune plumerias every once in a while, especially in Florida because a bad hurricane (or even a gusty afternoon thunderstorm) could do a number on plumeria branches.

Good luck! It looks like your plant has a good future ahead of it judging by your neighbor's tree!
-Alex

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
neighbor nut
well, I guess it takes all types....we manicure our...
rox146
what do you think of the callus?
The three on the left are hard and appear to be good...
plumeriai45
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
Plant robbers
I woke up this morning to find one of my plants, a...
gidgetsocal
Bayer tree and shrub
Has anyone ever mixed in fertilizer with the Bayer...
rox146
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™