Dead crabgrass

joebryant(zone 5 Indiana)March 21, 2004

Fall of 2002, I killed and burned one acre meadow.

December 15, 2002, I broadcast little bluestem grass seed.

April, 2003, I broadcast wildflower seeds. http://home.earthlink.net/~jdaeb/meadow.htm

Summer of 2003, field was covered with crabgrass that I continously mowed short, but couldn't stop it from producing seed on short shoots, but still there were many short wildflower plants, and I think little bluestem, but I'm not sure. http://home.earthlink.net/~jdaeb/meadow.htm

QUESTION: Now, March 21, 2004, in central Indiana, the field is covered with a mat of dead crabgrass with wildflower seedlings/plants underneath it. Would it be safe for the wildflower plants/seedlings if I were to wait for a dry day and set the crabgrass on fire. i.e., if I burn the mat of crabgrass, would it kill the little bluestem (if there is any ???) and/or the new wildflower seedlings and plants that started last year?

Here is a link that might be useful: Joe's wildflower meadow

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jim_Nebr(z4 Nebr.)

Joe,

I've got the same problem with the crabgrass. It forms a solid mat only an inch thick but very dense. It doesn't cover my whole flower patch (2 acres) but areas 20 - 50 ft. across. I'm going to burn when conditions are right. I don't think you need to worry about harming the young grasses if you burn, but others with more experience in this area will be along to help you. Good luck!

Bookmark   March 22, 2004 at 7:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_mo(z5/6)

Burning now won't hurt native warm-season grasses. They are still dormant, and burning to remove thatch during spring will actually help the warm-season grasses to prosper.

Bookmark   March 23, 2004 at 2:04PM
More Discussions
Trumpet vine??
Me again! Can anyone tell me the best way to take a...
Kim.MI - 5
establishing a prairie garden - QUACKgrass
I've started converting my lawn to a prairie with the...
mill1154
My Prairie Lawn in Oklahoma
Just wanted to share a shot I took today of my little...
TexasRanger10
Gray-headed Coneflower misgivings
Hi, does anyone have experience with growing Gray-headed...
Wildflowergma
help me ID new invasive in my savanna restoration
Hi - I'm in MN and have about a six year old small...
gibby2015
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™