Ground cover for hiking trail?

chris_7oaks(5)March 28, 2010

My mowed hiking trail is 600' in length and 4' wide. There is good-quality mesic prairie on one side of the trail, but the other side is more old field that has some natives but many weeds as well. I like to keep my trail mowed, it does have some seasonably moist spots, and there is more exposed soil than I would like. I am just looking to keep some sort of cover that will keep the weeds out and stabilize the soil, that will not pose a threat to the prairie plantings. Is there a native grass that could serve the purpose and handle the routine mowing? I may just seed it with Lolium multiflorum (annual rye) because it is inexpensive and easy to grow, but I'd need to do that each spring. I'm not sure what to do & looking for other ideas? Thank you...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

My first vote would be buffalo grass, Buchloe dactyloides. The USDA shows it as hardy in your area (WI). Three things that buffalo grass needs (in KS, anyhow) is 1) heavier soil (doesn't like sandy or sandy loam), 2) to be mowed at 2-3" when indeed mowed (maxes at about 5-6"), but initially mowed consistently to stifle weeds and to allow thorough establishment - which usually takes two to three repeated years. NO fertilizers as that often promotes the weeds and forbs more than the buffalo. Buffalo does not like weed killers, either. A true natural that was here before we were.
hortster

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA website

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
sudangrass and canada thistle
Has anyone here used sudangrass to try and suppress...
adidas
Walnut / Black Walnut Trees
I am considering purchasing a 5-acre property with...
Blake
How I cultivated a prairie'ish meadow in Oklahoma
Someone suggested I might post this, so let me basically...
dbarron
establishing a prairie garden - QUACKgrass
I've started converting my lawn to a prairie with the...
mill1154
My California Wildflower meadow
In mid winter I cut out some grass near my front yard...
nickrosesn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™