Too much sun?

cwcervantes(9A / New Orleans)July 29, 2012

Hello everyone! Does this look like too much sun? I don't see any pests on either plant. They get watered frequently. No leaf drop, just sickly looking leaves. These plants are getting 6+ hours of full sun with temps 90+.

Japanese Lantern:

NOID:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DelWH

Just a guess, it looks like you have succulents growing in the same pot. That may be causing the issue.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 4:00PM
ProudMamaSD

Hello cwcervantes,

I would add epsom salts to the Jap. Lantern, that can help to green up your leaves, I believe you can use Epsom salts or Sul po mag. The others look like they are being snacked on, maybe try spinosad? Others can get you more info on what to do.

Good luck!
Wendy

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 4:47PM
cwcervantes(9A / New Orleans)

yes, i definitely have succulents growing in that pot. actually there are succulents in ALL my plumeria pots! i thought that was ok?? here's one:

it's a plumeria, a jade, and a Tylecodon paniculatus (I am guessing)....
should i remove the succulents?

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 9:27PM
andrew78(6)

I have never heard of plumeria not being able to be grown with other succulents. I actually would think that they would work well together since they really do have similiar requirements in terms of there love of heat, and free drainging soils.

The only issue i can think of off the top iof my head is that they could compete for soil space and water. IF the suculent is taking water and nutrition from the plumeria, then you could have a potential problem.

I hope that helped you a little.

Andrew

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 12:46AM
DelWH

The competition for water, nutrition and root space was what I was thinking of. That's a pretty good size Jade plant in that pot.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 1:51AM
elucas101(8)

I was actually wondering how much they get watered - you said frequently - are they being allowed to dry out in between waterings? I'm actually thinking they may be getting too much. The yellowing can be indicative of that.

Also, as an aside, I am kind of the mad thrip battler and I do see evidence of thrips, which you may want to treat. The "scalloped" type of irregularity in a few of your leaves (primarily the one with the spots)is usually due to thrips.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 2:30PM

I've been doing some research and I think the spotted plumeria didn't have too much sun or thrips, I think it has Frangipani Mosaic Virus!

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 5:12PM
elucas101(8)

Aaaahhh, the dreaded Frangipani Mosaic Virus, DOH! SO obvious! LOL!

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 5:48PM
jandey1(TX8)

Cw, you didn't spray the spotted one with insecticide, did you? The leaves look just like mine did after I tried an insecticide on them for whitefly. They spotted then fell off over the course of several weeks.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 9:18AM

Nope, no spray at all or any systemic. Just water.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 10:09AM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

A member over in the citrus forum was growing succulents in the same pot as her Lemon tree and having issues. Of course they both have different needs. But the first thought i had was to use 2 pots. Put the plumeria pot in the middle of a bigger pot and fill the space between with soil and plant the succulents or annuals in that space. This way both could be watered and fertilized separately. If you used silicon or some other sealant on the bottom of the middle pot you would have no transfer between the two.

Im sure Im not the first to come up with this idea but it sounds good to me

Mike

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
Thai Super Round Blooming In February.....Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Hello everyone!! I hope you all are enjoying the warmth...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Inflo from last summer now producing multiple tips!
Hello guys and gals! I have a little situation on my...
Andrew Scott
more middle room
re worked some space in the middle of courtyard. used...
rox146
Bayer tree and shrub
Has anyone ever mixed in fertilizer with the Bayer...
rox146
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™