Need ID please.....

Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)March 22, 2004

I have no pic to post, but I seemed to have lost the list of wildflowers I sowed out last fall! I'm pretty sure what is coming up is one of the annuals, but not sure which.

The rosette is small, with thin grayish/green leaves that look like an upside down 'T' from center out, the older the leaf the cross on the "T" is lobed on each end. On some of the bigger ones there is a yellow flower-bud coming up through the center of the rosette. I pulled one up so view the roots which are very thin and 1 1/2 in long.

They are very very small no bigger than the bottom of a drinking glass!

Please tell me I prepped my ground as good as I thought I did and this is NOT a annual weed!! I've looked all around my property and don't see any thing else like it...fingers crossed!

Thanks for any help,

Vera

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
evruda

Check out Wildseedfarms.com cataloge. They have pics of seedlings for every flower that they sell.

Bookmark   March 22, 2004 at 7:22PM
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

Thanks evruda...
I didn't see anything that resembled it except maybe the Bishops Flower (a non-native)....the leaves kinda look like this, except the bud is tiny and yellow not white like Bishops Flower.
I was looking in my Prairie Moon Nursery Catalog and think it may be Early Buttercup.

Vera

Bookmark   March 22, 2004 at 10:54PM
froggy(z4/5 WI)

golden alexander?

Bookmark   March 24, 2004 at 7:27AM
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

Well I never identified the seedlings, but did a through walk around the nearby wheat field that runs right by my place across the dirt road...I'm positive this was a weed as I came upon bunches after we got some good rains!

I had been preparing the 12x60 section all summer up until I sowed in late fall...not one single weed sprouted then. So far this seems to be the only spring weed thus far...fingers crossed!

Vera

Bookmark   March 27, 2004 at 11:40AM
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

Seedlings ID'd

Pineapple Weed ...Matricaria matricarioides
Native of Western US and Eurasia.....smells of pineapple when crushed

and another:

Miner's Lettuce....Claytonia perfoliata....(early food of the Indians and settlers of the Rocky Mountains and Western US... in salads and cooked like greens....high vitamin C and was used as a preventive of scurvy.

Bookmark   April 30, 2004 at 5:19PM
lycopus(z5 NY)

Pineapple weed makes a nice tea.

Bookmark   April 30, 2004 at 8:45PM
Vera_EWASH(z5 EasternWA)

That's what I read too....a nice tea :)

It's definately pineapple weed but I don't smell the pineapple.....does it get a stronger smell the older it gets in the season? I read it also is confused with wild chamomile (May Weed Chamomile) and Dog Fennel in the young foliage stage but it's not and the pineapple 'heads' distingquish what I have.

Vera

Bookmark   May 1, 2004 at 10:51AM
lycopus(z5 NY)

Not sure. I've only picked the plant in the summer when it is in bloom. The flowers will have a strong pinapple smell when crushed. This plant tends to grow in very poor soil, like in gravel along the sides of driveways and roads. It also shows up in lawns.

Bookmark   May 1, 2004 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
Central Texas Grassland restoration Blog
This Blog Is really pretty good and interesting. Jill...
wantonamara Z8 CenTex
Transplant Asclepias tuberosa?
I'd like to have Butterfly Weed in my perennial bed...
kimmers
Weed or Native Forb?
Thanks for your help. A number of these in our young...
whallyden
Too late to sow grass seeds now?
I have planted an area with prairie grasses and forbs....
mdahms1979
My California Wildflower meadow
In mid winter I cut out some grass near my front yard...
nickrosesn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™